Thread: I need two measurements!

Default I need two measurements!

Can someone do me a favor? I need two measurements:

1. Length of the tie rod center link from the outside of each outer end.
    2. Length from the outer rod end from the pitman arm to the other tie rod end.
    Basically the length of both steering shafts or whatever you call them.

I took measurements on mine and want to see what others have. I want to compare and before I tighten up everything and reassemble the tie rod ends want to make sure its aligned right. I don't feel like pulling out the pickle fork once its buttoned up!

Thanks!

Each truck is going to be slightly different, a measurement won't do you any good.

Did you make a custom drag link and tie rod? Stock units should have an adjustable turnbuckle in them. IIRC, with the steering as close as you can get it to straight ahead, you should be able to run a string across the back tire, to the front tire and then adjust so that each front tires leading edge is app 1/8th of an inch in as compared to the back of the tire.

Next you would adjust the drag link to find a balance of a couple things... steering wheel approximated straight ahead, and pitman arm at the center of it's arc with the wheels still pointed "perfectly" straight. When done, verify you can get each knuckle to go lock to lock.
    Last edited by Doug; August 27th, 2009 at 05:58 PM.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

It is a stock drag link - everything is stock. So I can adjust it without removing the tie rod ends once the drag link is installed? Just loosen the clamps on the ends of the drag link and turn it for adjustment in/out?

Yes, loosen the clamps and spin the rod.

Scroll down the page this link will open. Detailed instructions in the manual. Should have everything you need.
    http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=20chap2-22
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

To measure toe in with the wheels mounted is not adviceable. The wheels and tires are to unprecice to measure someting good.
    I prepared two peces of L-shped steel of about 5 foot length. In the middel I drilled 2 holes to fit on the bolts on the flange and tie the steel with the wheel nuts outside.
    So the measuring lenght is much better. Make your marks on the concete floor and set it for 1/8" toe in. This will run very fine and limit the wheel wear to the possible minimum if your king pin and the related bearings are in propper shape and have no free travel or irregular wear.
    Wolf

That sounds like a really good idea. Tausend Dank, mein Herr!
    -- Tim Taylor