Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bluesman2a : URGENT: Need New Life Top Advice/pics!!!

Default bluesman2a :

Re: URGENT: Need New Life Top Advice/pics!!!
    Post by bluesman2a on Sept 21, 2006, 6:56pm

Little follow-up here:
    I talked with Mona, and have incorporated the feedback in this thread into my top and she appreciated the pics so it will help others coming out as well.

The solution on the long straps is to make them shorter and put another buckle on the outside so it doesn't flap around.

She may duck in here, I sent her a link to the thread, so if there are things she should know or changes to the design I would definitely post-up gentlemen (and Pabst).

Default canvas1 :

Post by canvas1 on Sept 21, 2006, 10:41pm

Hey guys!
    Thanks for the pics - really cleared things up. FYI - I do have a pattern that is for just the window area to roll up, but it seems that everyone likes the M-37 style roll-up of the whole back panel. Feel free to contact me with questions & I will get back to you as soon as I can. I don't have much time to check in on forums, etc. but do check my email daily.

Herb - thanks for all your support, it is truely a pleasure working with you!

I have had several inquiries from this site, thank you guys so much for passing along my contact info - I really appreciate it.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Sept 21, 2006, 11:33pm

Yeah, I forgot about the blackout curtain over the back window. That is going to be GREAT for driving at night. It will let me block out the glare from headlights behind me reflecting off the vertical windshield. AFAIK, mine is the only one Judith did like that. Mona, I'd certainly tell folks about it if I were you, to see if it's something they'd want. If they're not going for a true-to-original reproduction. I think Judith charged me another $15 for it. Something like that. Well worth it, if you ask me.

Also, I should mention that the clips to hold up the roll-up back were done at my specific request. I think the standard way Judith did it was to put snaps on the straps. But that wouldn't let one cinch it up a little tighter.

Oh, maybe she left the outer straps long so that I could just pull it up part way! I get it now!

I was going to cut them shorter, but now that I see what Judith was probably doing, I think I'll give it another year to try out. I might like the chance to just pull the back up 1/3 of the way or so.

I'm slow. Dorks usually are!

Then again.... The straps aren't long enough to roll it up 1/3 the way. It would apparently have to be half the way, or higher, before the end of the strap met the clip inside. Oh well, I'll still give it a try over the next year and see how I like it.

What's Mona's e-mail again? Could someone post that here?

Well, waddyaknow? It was right there in another thread:
    Mona Roth
    New Life Canvas
    3201 West 260th Street
    New Prague, MN 56071
    Phone: (952) 758-3879
    Email: newlifecanvas@yahoo.com

Default oilcan :

Post by oilcan on Sept 22, 2006, 6:58am

Timmah!, my inside attachment points are small D-rings, and there are T-shaped hooks on the outside straps. Sorry, don't have a pic handy. Also, the outside straps are long enough to swing down and scratch the window up, but I just tie a real loose knot in each one, and they stay out of the way.

Now I need to rig up a blackout curtain to hang off those D-rings.

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Sept 22, 2006, 12:25pm

Instead of the black-out curtain, I'm having Mona use a tinted window instead. Mine won't hit the road much at night and I am hoping the tint will knock out a lot of the light.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Sept 22, 2006, 4:25pm

The tint will make it worse. I put a tinted window in the back of my hard top thinking it would help. It just acted more like a mirror than the clear glass.

The problem is not the lights behind you. It is your own head lights and lights coming at you that reflect off the back glass, then off the front, then off the back, then off the front, then off the back, then off the front... You get the picture.

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Sept 25, 2006, 10:29pm

Update: Mona called today, and my material came in faster than her main canvas order... Today my my top SHIPPED!!! Stay tuned for further developments!!!

The more I work with her, the more I like her approach to business. She's very concerned that her customers are happy with their product.

Just a thought here, but do we have anybody with a truck near her address?
    3201 West 260th Street
    New Prague, MN 56071

In talking to her, I think she's very competant with the material, but I think seeing it on a truck and being able to look at how things fit would be beneficial, not only to her, but all of us who will be future customers... Anybody close?