Thread: sweeney : Got my cab back from sandblasting

Default vrod02 :

Re: Got my cab back from sandblasting
    Post by vrod02 on Oct 24, 2006, 11:36pm

They recycle dude!

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Oct 24, 2006, 11:44pm

Ture, but not worth the hassle to me when I only do an average of one truck every few years...I'll pay the extra cost so I don't have to trip over it in the shop...have enough Jeep parts laying around for that task-lol

Default rip68 :

Post by rip68 on Oct 25, 2006, 9:58am

Thanks for the feedback guys,... but how about the price? Am I getting close to the retail price to buy the sandblaster?

Default snuffy :

Post by snuffy on Oct 25, 2006, 4:52pm

Do you have a decent size air compressor??

A guy that owns a surplus shop in Woodstock, Ga. was doing a 715 and a 725 with a 'small pot' (around 50 lb) unit. Don't know the time involved, but he did a good job. Problem is with the media used - you don't want to breath in silica or coal. Need a hood or respirator to use these.

OSHA doesn't want you to use silica (sand) any more... but you can get buy construction sand. The sand must be DRY!

A small/cheap unit will cost less than a couple hundred from what I've seen.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Oct 26, 2006, 9:00am

Are you saying that using construction sand eliminates the need for the hood? I would still wear a respirator....

Default snuffy :

Post by snuffy on Oct 26, 2006, 9:17am

NO!!! Meant that the sale of 'sand' for sand blasting isn't allowed anymore. Construction sand is an alternative to get around the restriction.

The construction sand isn't graded quite as well and sand media you used to be able to buy by the pallet. Hood or resprirator is a must!!! Remember - lead paint was legal when the trucks were originally painted!!

Default rip68 :

Post by rip68 on Oct 28, 2006, 1:35pm

I've got a 100 lb psi pancake compressor. I checked Harbour Freight Tools online and they have portable blasters from $47 - $199. I think instead of paying someone else $700, that I'll buy the $199 blaster and do it myself. I've already got 5 - 50lb bags of quartz sand free from the last job site. I'll just go get a good ANSI approved respirator, and blasting hood. The $199 blaster requires between 60 psi & 125 psi. If my pancake compressor doesn't supply enough air, then I'll just get a bigger one.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Oct 28, 2006, 8:30pm

Your pancake compressor will supply about enough air to blast the size of a dime. You will need a BIG compressor. I have an industrial 100 gallon Kellogg compressor and it runs quite a bit. If I blast for 15 or 20 minutes I take ten and let her cool down. The compressor has a fan that pulls air accross the pistons when it runs, still gets warm. Sand blasting takes lots of air, and lots of time. I have the largest Harbor Freight blast cabinet they sell, POS, I wore out two of their guns, and have basically rebuilt and rewired everything. Good Luck.

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Oct 28, 2006, 8:49pm

Quote:
    Your pancake compressor will supply about enough air to blast the size of a dime. You will need a BIG compressor. I have an industrial 100 gallon Kellogg compressor and it runs quite a bit. If I blast for 15 or 20 minutes I take ten and let her cool down. The compressor has a fan that pulls air accross the pistons when it runs, still gets warm. Sand blasting takes lots of air, and lots of time. I have the largest Harbor Freight blast cabinet they sell, POS, I wore out two of their guns, and have basically rebuilt and rewired everything. Good Luck.

I'll second that.

I used a 100 CFM gas powered compressor, guessing that pancake is 5 CFM or so. Plan on renting a big one, or it'll take forever. It's truely a mess getting the sand out of every afterwards.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Oct 28, 2006, 9:12pm

Quote:
    Remember - lead paint was legal when the trucks were originally painted!!

The current Gillespie (sp?) military paints such as you'd get from Rapco also contain lead.