Thread: Charging the Batteries...(the first step of many)

I have so many questions I'm ready to explode. But I'm going to take it one thread at a time.

I want to charge my batteries but only have a 12V charger. I can go 6 amp or 2 amp. Any difference? I figure that I should probably disconect the batteries and charge them one at a time. Is there anything I should know or do before I do this? And is this the correct setup for the batteries?

I'm gonna have to clean up the box. But it's not in bad shape...I'm just afraid of the wiring. There is stuff all over. My cab is a mess.

And to make matters worse they cut my seats and welded on the junk thats on there now (which is totaly shot) Excuse my venting.

Any help is appreciated.

Knave

one at a time, 2 amp.
    if you buy new batteries try and get two out of the same month, same lot if possible. diferent models/sizes are not supposed to last

The 2 amp is the slower charge. It will be better for you batteries in the long run. If you aren't sure of the wiring, pull it out and redo it in a way that you can understand. You have a lot of different colors and gauges all mixed together. That could cause you confusion or trouble someday. I'm not saying go spend money. I'm suggesting that you take them apart, clean them, label them and then reassemble them in the proper manner. Of course, new wires and connecters would be better, but we all aren't harvesting from the money tree. Good luck and keep asking questions.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks, Now If I buy new Batteries (I would buy two of the same)

What size should I get? In my other Jeep puckup I put in I think 850 CCA
    Is that about right or should I go for 1000? It's rarely below freezing here but you never know when you'll need a li'l extra juice.

I don't think I'll need a deep cycle but I could change my mind for the right reason. (It is true, I'm not made of cash so Budget I must)

Thanks again.

I can't tell from your photo, are you still 24v or converted over to 12v? Mine is 12v. I have the stock battery from my wifes 2000 Suburban in mine. I don't know the CCA rating, she is in it right now working her second day at a new job, so I can't go look or call up there. I just know that one morning the Suburban was dead so I bought her a new one, charged the old one and stuck it in the M715. It sometimes feels like it wants to throw the engine out of the hood. I would suggest one of the Optima line. I have one of those in my '66K20 and it does wonderfull in cold or heat. Almost three years now without even giving it a second thought.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I always go for the biggest barry I can fit and afford....My batteries are in a box in the bed, so I have more room that stock...I run group 31 1/2 batteries with 1000 cca each...I also run "00" custom battery cables.
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default CALL ME CRAZY....

My truck is still 24 volt...I pretty much plan on keeping it that way. I have a few problems...like I'm missing one plug cable. I might try that civy mod that I read on here to get a new set of cables unless I can find some stock ones for a reasonable price.

Thanks for all your info guys. I'll probably stick with 800-1000 CCA. I can pick up a pair at costco for pretty cheap and I've run them in my other Jeep truck for a while. Go Kirkland.

Any leads on a new set of Plug cables?