Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ford 300 / five speed tranny

Default ford 300 / five speed tranny

I have a chance to score a Ford 300 six cylinder FI mated to a five speed (I think ZF tranny). I want to put this in my M725. I know the Ford six has been used before but I can't find any reference to the ZF tranny. Ya'll think I'd be ok with that set up.

If its a two wheel drive ZF 5 speed then it will be fine. Just a short jack shaft between your trans and stock transfercase. Might have to move the transfercase back a little. Make sure you get the slipyoke with the trans to build the new jack shaft off of. Will have to fab some transfercase shifter brackets too.

Slip yoke ok...thanks

That 300 six has been around for years, my '89 F150 I got new then had it. Parts should be easy to get for that one.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

They are great engines.

A few months back I was at an offroad event and everyone was sitting around the fire telling stores. Two guys brought up the "cash for clunkers" program, they were both involved in it at different locations where they had to "prepare" the vehicles for the scrap yard. This preparation included draining all fluids from the engine and then letting it run pegged against the rev limiter till it popped. Pretty depressing really... but anyways they said that the Ford 300 I6's just wouldnt die, they would run and run and run without oil or coolant.

Pretty amazing if you ask me.

You guys have encouraged me Tomorrow I am going to check it out...it is an 89 f150...I am pretty excited

okay boys bought it ...I got the engine the fuel pump the computer with the wiring harness and a slip yoke anything else ...of course I got the transmission too. I was gonna buy the whole truck but the wife won't stand for another vehicle in the yard

Serpentine belt set up, power steering pump, alternator and a/c if it has it. Use the compressor for a/c if you want or OBA if not.

Exhaust manifold and as much of the pipe as you can get so the O2 sensor will be there.

We had a member from CA a few years ago that did this swap. He loved it. Luckypabst was his user name. Read any thread started by him and you will be amazed at his machinist quality work. His engine swap thread got lost when the Zone crashed in 2006.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    We had a member from CA a few years ago that did this swap. He loved it. Luckypabst was his user name. Read any thread started by him and you will be amazed at his machinist quality work. His engine swap thread got lost when the Zone crashed in 2006.

A lot of very valuable stuff has been lost from this site for various reasons

I was fortunate enough to drive Lucky's truck and it was awesome!! Lots more power than stock and smooth shifting too. He still has the NP200 in there then so it was still a bit loud - but the motor/tranny combo worked well!
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है