Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros & Cons of the Stock Braden winch?

Default Pros & Cons of the Stock Braden winch?

Hey Guys..........I would like to hear your thoughts on the factory Braden winch. Is this a winch I should keep on my truck........or shall I update it with a new 12000 lb electric model? I plan on keeping the appearance of my truck basically stock.....but really don't know very much about these PTO winches. It seems to work just fine........Thanks!!!

Have you ever used an electric winch? I doubt it would be near as capable as the pto one.

If its installed and working, it'll beat the pants off any electric you would install.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Pto winches always out perform a comp. electric winch, however they also outweigh them alot too. The braden is very good an parts are still readily avial for them. If you dont want it alot of folks i'm sure would love to get it from you.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Fisheman.........No.....I really don't have alot of experience with electric winches. I was leaning towards keeping the Braden........just needing a few more oppinions....

A few more opinions you'll get too!

About the only plus about an electric is you can use it (for a while, at least) if the engine quits. I'd have been one sorry puppy in my CJ if I didn't have my electric winch when I got stuck ("sunk" is a better word for it!) in a muddy swamp once and the engine stalled.

But yeah, if you've got the Braden, you're in great shape. It's a good winch from all I've heard.
    -- Tim Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    A few more opinions you'll get too!

About the only plus about an electric is you can use it (for a while, at least) if the engine quits. I'd have been one sorry puppy in my CJ if I didn't have my electric winch when I got stuck ("sunk" is a better word for it!) in a muddy swamp once and the engine stalled.

But yeah, if you've got the Braden, you're in great shape. It's a good winch from all I've heard.

How far and long did you get with the electric winch. It is hard for the battery to keep up even with the motor running if it is pulling under a heavy load.

Had to pull off several trees to pivot the Jeep about 160 degrees to then make the straight pull out. Total time running the winch was probably 20 or 30 seconds per tree for about 4 or 5 trees to get turned around, then under a minute to get back to the shallows. The winch ran strong the entire time. It's a Warn 8375, iirc. (Exactly like the 8274, only without the free-wheeling knob.)

I run a dual-battery setup, which I think helps. One battery is dedicated to the winch only. So I could start the Jeep back up when I was finished winching!

Also great for jump-starting one's self!
    -- Tim Taylor

Since we are off track here, Tim, do you use a dual battery isolator?
    "We are here for the meeting!"

I was afraid that question would come up. I know almost enough about wiring to (usually) avoid zapping myself or shorting something out. Usually. But as I understand it, the batteries are isolated somehow through a solenoid mounted on my inner fender.
    -- Tim Taylor