Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Going Rockwells, anyone else done this yet?

I got the 1 ton kits for $500 and change per axle. Remember the kit I was making for the rockwell?..that was 2.5 ton and I decided to save that for the now and at the aforementioned price...I mean really...that's a decent price for wheel brakes w/Wilwoods. To give you an idea of Barry's backspacing...he took a riveted (older style) deuce budd wheel, (newer ones are welded) cut out the rivets, flipped the center over to give it a dished in look and welded them back in place in the same position only flipped. For now, I'll be running 1100x20's on a deuce 'single' style wheel that does not have the same backspacing as the typical budd style dual wheels. These can not be put back to back. I have six compliments of my old gasser M34 deuce. The cool part is that I will have NO tire sticking out past the fender flare with the full width Rockwell! They'll be covered by like 1/8" to 1/4". 41+" meats right to the edge...helps with PA's assinine truck laws. Thinking about a set of Denman Ground Hawgs for the future. I just like that tread pattern and think it would look as much at home on a 715 as it does on the late 70's ford full size trucks.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Default snatch blocks, FYI

Pinion brakes for me. I just realized they most likely are wanting $250 per pinion brake. So that still adds up to more then $500. I can make a setup like that for less, but I am not sure of the best parking brake setup.
    I will be running the 1600x20 tires (53"), and I want it to be wide, but not too goofy looking. I actually plan on modifying the fender flares to accomodate the extra large tires when they articulate.
    I won't be putting the mohawk covers on for a while, unless it's messed up that is.
    Ground hawgs look neat, but suck on the road.
    And I am making a offroad only truck, so I don't have to worry AT ALL about any legalities
    And I just don't like the smaller tires on these HUGE axles.
    Btw, how is your front driveshaft for clearances and angles? And off what tcase?

I'll know where the front driveshaft is in a week or so. I'm waiting for the UPS drop of the new parts before I put my Rockwells back together. Pans, detroits, discs...I'm psyched! I'm really only concerned with pan to pumkin or drive flange clearance. I'm spring overing it and will see how close it is. I'm running a divorced NP205 behind a 3053A deuce tranny with a 15% od and have about 3/4 the dough for a GV Overdrive for the back of the NP205. That will add another 17% od and take my small tire (41") Rockwell set up from 2800rpm@60mph to 2250rpm@60mph. Which is quite liveable. Steering: The plan right now is a ram assisted power set up. The stock Rockwell is turned by an arm off of the driver's side knucle. I cut that off and swapped it and it's studs over to the passenger side knuckle and will build and are extending from there to catch the steering rod from the box. The ram should mount on rear of the housing. Another cool thing with the Rockwells is that the the top piece on the knuckls is not the kingpin like some of the other rears. It's a cap that holds the kingpin bushing/housing in place. Pretty slick...and mega convenient.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Default Re: 12 volt light bulbs

Yeah, I figure I will be in for a 'few surprises' on steering when I get the axles.
    I plan on hydro assist. 2"x8" rams are cheap, and hopefully strong enough for the 53" tires.
    I would go full hydro, but I want the better safety of the mechanical linkage still. And it's a LOT cheaper (well, maybe).
    Why didn't you get a spool in the rear? I think detriot front and spool rear would be able the best setup. Except for actuated lockers, but there goes the $$$ again.
    Starting to think I need to go get a arc welder for doing the best welds for the new axle work. I don't feel like buying the kind of MIG that would do this work to the point I want/need right now.

Oh yeah, the one thing I DON'T like about the smaller 1 ton brakes is how they use the spacers for the caliper to mount to the adaptor bracket. Alhough this is a much cheaper way to do it, I really don't like the idea of that much spacing on brakes!
    The 4 piston setup does look nice, and $500 for the brakes isn't bad. But they do add up fast.

Tom just remember not to shift into 4wd w/that OD lol...

40's and up look ok w/Rockwell's... 44 better.
    **I heart Bump_r **

man, running a 40" tire on a rockwell, that is just like running a 31" tire on a 14 bolt! Lol.
    I feel the 48" tire is about the starting point of tire sizes that match the bulk of rockwells.

Well, um...consider that the 900x20 NDT stock M35 tire is about 39" and my Goodyear 1100x20's are 41" so I'm already ahead of the 55mph max@2800rpm stock deuce truck size/revs. If I go with a bunch of suspension and 48's I'll not be able to drive it on the street with out getting fine and harassed constantly. Where ever you are and have the 44's hanging out of the fenders ain't PA. I'd LOVE to slap a set of 44" boggers or 46" Iroks on the thing but it just isn't the best thing to do for a truck that actually gets frequent street use...in PA anyway. Sucks bad, but my hands are tied to a certain extent of legality and truck building.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Ah, but you can always have a second set of tires for 'trail use', and have the rim offset to match the tire width.
    And yeah, I had smacked the axles on rocks, dirt, and trees while in the army, they WERE too low! Lol.
    But it would be a great deal for street driving. Talk about overkill on weight rating!

Tom no worries, I've seen a few pics in mags over the years w/<44" tires, looked ok. The axles are just huge and the top-mounted pinion dictates height to some extent... so it might look funny w/too small a tire, just as it might look funny w/too tall a tire too.
    **I heart Bump_r **