Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas leak, trying to burn my stuff

Default Gas leak, trying to burn my stuff

I went out to the shop last night to get a tool for a neighbor. I smelled gas but thought it was my CJ. This morn I went out to get some maps and the smell was overpowering. I looked over the CJ and found nothing. I walked over to the M715 and saw this.

My tank is bad. A previous repair had come loose and it was dropping gas at 3 drops a second. I had about ten gallons in the tank. I'm pretty sure this could have ignited and burned everything I care about in the shop.

I could not get the drain loose. I reamed out the hole to drain faster. I'm supposed to be in a parade on Friday. I will be busy tonight. I am so lucky.
    I am late for work and have a headache from +ell. Gas stinks.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

That's a scary thing. Nothing like walking into the shop to find a big pool of gas and the area full of fumes (the most dangerous part)

Good thing you hadn't gone off on a week long vacation.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Shoddy work huh Al? How much are you paying to keep this info from your boss?!
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Glad it isnt worse Al...wow...that could haave be a big disaster.

Hope the fix is easy and solid!

I had a cigarette in my hand when I went in at first this morn. I did put it out once I woke up enough to see the danger. I was late for work and had a KILLER headache (should have worn a respirator) for hours today.

I would imagine that the 7-8 more gallons on the floor could have been ignited by something. My compressor was off thankfully.
    I would have lost a lot of things that are important to me and can't be replaced.

I didn't do it Gimp. Someone else did. Maybe Jacks Gov't surplus or the previous owners the MT. Hopkins observatory maintenance folks.

I'm about to though... I have two different types of epoxy and am going to attempt to seal it for the parade on Friday. I'm going to build a new tank at work. I got the thumbs up from my boss. They look at it as training and experience to be gained. Don't tell my boss I'm using glue till then, Mkay?

Geez, this could have been really bad. More than luck.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

An old field fix for tanks is to ream the hole out just a bit bigger, then use a 1/4" bolt, nut, and piece of 1/4" fuel hose. Slide a length of hose slightly shorter than the bolt, over the bolt and put the nut on the end, then insert it into the hole in the tank and tighten it. This expands the hose and seals the hole. Works kinda' like an expandable emergency freeze plug for an engine.

It is temporary, but it will get you through your parade safely.....
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Boy Al, you got lucky. Hope it doesn't rain on your parade, no pun intended. I know you will build a first class new tank. I think you or Tim may have my old sending unit, I can't remember. Anyhow glad it will turn out for the best.

That looks suspiciously like a leak in my tank. It was right where the vertical baffle was spot welded. Mine had been repaired with some sort of epoxy that was no longer holding. I cleaned it up and soldered it shut but then I had the whole tank out and cleaned out first. Not a viable fix for you right this second. Please post some more about your new tank when you get it built.

So there is a spot weld there? Maybe the tank is not corroded and just needs to be welded. That would be a fun one.

Now that I think about it, I found two other very slight leaks only barley damp I also cleaned up and sealed. I think a new one is in order. I want to try making one anyways.

The American Legion literally just called to confirm meeting time. I'm putting fuel in it as soon as I log off. Cross yer fingers....

Tim must have your old sending unit Todd. I have no extras.

Thanks Randy. Thats a good one to remember. You could toss it in your glove box ahead of time. I have also heard rubbing a soap bar on a leak will cause the soap to gel and seal. Napalm. I have not tried it.

Here goes and if it holds I am driving 30 miles to work tomorrow.

I used plummer putty on a fuel tank to seal the holes, It was a two part , just pull a little off , knead it and stick it on the hole (s). It works fast and dries hard.