Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Educate me please

I have lurked and browsed a while on this site, read the FAQs, and I am developing a bad case of Gottahavits. I am trying to decide amongst several vehicles. So far:

1. It has to be an ambulance. But I'm having a hard time deciding between a WC-27, a WC-52, or an M725. Any thoughts?

2. Which of the above is most likely to be found in relatively decent shape. My idea of decent shape is that it runs(and can be stopped! ). Can be titled. Minimal rot, but paint is not important. Major systems, glass, doors intact, interior can be rough but intact. I really don't want something that has had the patient compartment completely ripped out.

3. Which had the most reliable orginal engine and drive train?

4. Which would be the easiest to change out or rebuild the engine?Convert to 12volt?

5. Can I get something like this for under $4,000.00

6. I'd love to hear about personal preferences if anybody would care to express them.

Thanks for your time!

Doc V

there is a nice m725 with a rebuilt engine and all stock including litters and rear steps in monroe,la. for 2000. it only needs paint

My 725 is in really good shape. 18,748 miles to the T. Stock winch. 3500 bucks. BUT the back has been gutted. Runs like a champ, I'm hoping to have it stop like a champ once I get the new wheel cyls. on. Good luck with whatever you get!
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Doc:
    Did lots of research. I was prejudiced in favor of the M725 to begin with. Discovered quickly the availability of parts and $$$ skewed me directly towards the M725. Still lots around. Still reasonable. Still lots of parts.

bdial,

I'm kind of leaning that way myself. I actually remember M725s when I was little. I thought that was what an ambulance looked like (if it wasn't a Cadillac).

Does anyone know where I can find info about paint schemes. Obviously OD is one choice, or haze gray. Does anyone remember ones with white tops. I seem to remeber an AFB that had dark blue ones with white tops.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses I have gotten.

Jon
    Book of Armaments 4:16-20

Cammo pattern is posted in the side bar.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Doc,

I've seen the Air Force vehicles with white over blue. For us (USN/USMC) the forrest green semigloss is the route if you want to be realistic. I never saw a gray one--SeaBees used USMC green. After the M725 was taken offline, some were retained as utility trucks. Those may have been painted anything. Other than the SeaBees, I don't think the Navy had any M725's as line ambulances. The Navy doesn't have much need for tactical vehicles. There was a time when all USMC vehicles attached to the Marine Corps Air Wings had US Navy on the side. I was a corpsmen with the USMC when the M715-M725 were issued. I don't think they were popular with the grunts: only the wings. USMC Tac Marks are covered in a TM (Technical Manual) that is no longer available to the public.

Bill Dial (former HMC)

Thanks Chief! I figured the Forest Green semigloss was the way to go. I have a hazy recollection of gray crackerboxes at NH Great Lakes, but it was so long ago I don't recollect clearly. I do remember that they ran gray Ford station wagons and of course Pontiac ambulances. (Take a look at my website www.geocities.com/drjgv for my Pontiac)

I have access to all sorts of TMs so I should be able to find the TAC marks. Were they using black or yellow paint for them?

Thanks for then answers. It still holds true....when you need an answer, find the Chief!

Doc V

M725 is the last of the Military cracker boxes. (not counting Hmmwvs). The M884 and the M1010 were dodge and chevy pickups with a cracker box on the back of them...The WC WWII trucks look cool, but are 6 volt, have the flat head in them and parts are all surplus dealers who think they are covered in gold. M43 50-60 era dodge is also a good truck and would be something to look into. If you can find one that is mostly restored you're ahead of the game. Good luck on your search.
    Zone holster maker

I just saw a really clean 725 in New Jersey this past Wednesday. Colts Neck Fire Department has it. Only 8,000 miles. There was someone there washing it when I was passing by so I stopped to inquire, I found out that it might go up for sale within the next year to partially fund upgraded equipment. I told him about the "ZONE" and he said he would post the info. soon. Mike Petrus