Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 53" tires are, uhm, BIG!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well, I found a deal I couldn't pass up. And they have a LOT of good traction on these tires!

The cherokee has 33" tires and a 4" lift. But this tire drawfs it!

And no matter the pictures that I have seen of these tires, until I saw them in person, I couldn't fathom how big they really are! And, uhm, HEAVY! And to think, I will be adding big rims with inserts to make them weigh even more.

Default 53" tires are, uhm, BIG!

That tire looks cool!

Did the place you got them have any 16" XL's? And are they in Austin?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Place was down in south San Antonio.
    Aviation tire salvage I think is the name place. Henry peterson was the guy.
    He has a LOT of tires. He even at the cool 11x16" Xls there. Man those would be cool for stock replacement tire for a stock M715!
    But they are very pricy it would seem. About $200 each!

Now I have to order a tire grooving thing. Fun... lol.

"""Airplane Tire Salvage 210 627 2691 San antonio Texas ask for Henry Peterson, oldest custom tire guy left living, known him for 40 years myself, tons of weird creations in a old Sanford and son Setting but he knows tires, ex ww2 airplane recapper and salvage tire business, loves the 20 inch michlin xls. """
    I found that on the Pirate site and called the guy yesterday. He said he had plenty of tires for me to choose from in any price range I wanted. Sounded like a good excuse for a road trip to me!

Hell yeah! right on...

To deviate some, that Cherokee looks low on a 4" lift... which confuses me, as I helped a guy put one on once, and it was higher... but his was also on 36's. Anyhoo.. NICE TIRES..

back to topic: were those 16" xl's newish ie in good shape?
    **I heart Bump_r **

Yeah, I think the cherokee has about 3" or so of lift in reality. But not totally sure.
    That and the ground is soft there, so it has 'settled' down an inch or two after sitting there for a while.

As for those 16"s, they were in ok condition, but they are not easy to come by. I think the guy was saying that the customer had found them. The rims they were going on could have easily been some M715 or M37 rims. Definitely military style rims that had some NASTY NDTs on them currently.
    Oh yeah, he had a bunch of HMMWV take offs as well. The older style and the newer style (what I am thinking about putting on the cherokee!)

Uh, Hammer...you know you're wheel/tire combo is gonna be running like 400 lbs per? I know Rockwells are tough and all, but um...

LET US KNOW WHERE THE WEAK LINKS ARE!!!

I got my groover on eBay...just a simple little bugger to cut my 'little' XL's. Cool gummies dude!!!!
    Big Blocks RULE!

Yeah, I know. I figure that with the 20" heavy duty rim, and beadlock insert. I should be pretty close to 500 lbs per tire!!!
    As for how strong rockwells are, I am not going rear steer for now, so I should be ok with the 53" tire. If I was going rear steer, I would have got the 14x20 (48" tire).
    And if I do manage to break an axle (most people say that neglect, rust, water, etc was the true cause of damage), then I will get the better axles that are out there. Not the monster 50 spline ones though, those are WAY too much money!!! cool though.
    Funny thoughts, I would almost be better off with the NP200 now for the offset rear chunk.

And if they guys can do rock crawling championships running these tire/axle combo's, then my simple setup should work fine for now. I know for a fact that I will be MUCH better off compared to the 44's on my stock axles! If all else fails, I can always go to the smaller 48" tire. But I think the better axle shafts would solve any potential problems.

...and I thought 42's would fill the wheel wells pretty good. What was I thinking.

Cool tires though.

PaulC

Lol, I think 40" tires about about the perfect size/fit for the stock fenders.
    I will be making my fenders fit the tires though. I will NOT be making this truck 10 feet high!