Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: elohim1 : ?? removing rivots on rear spring mount.

Default elohim1 : ?? removing rivots on rear spring mount.

?? removing rivots on rear spring mount.
    Post by elohim1 on May 7, 2006, 2:17pm

I am fliping the rear spring mount. I have removed the head of the rivets on one side and tried to take a strong air hammer and drive rivets through. The rivets are not moving.

What do I need to do to get these rivets out.
    Also, it looks like the spindle in which the spring rides, possibly goes through the frame and is welded on the plate which is on the other side. If this is true, once remove rivets , do I need to remove spindle to turn the mount 180 degrees?
    Thanks
    Chris

Default socal715 :

Re: ?? removing rivots on rear spring mount.
    Post by socal715 on May 7, 2006, 3:03pm

Im surprised the air hammer/chissel didnt work .... time to grab the plasma cutter hehehhe...

i havent flipped mine and dont remember how you got about it.

cant you just flip the rear shackle instead of removing the entire front perch?

Default elohim1 :

Post by elohim1 on May 7, 2006, 8:22pm

Quote:

cant you just flip the rear shackle instead of removing the entire front perch?

I am also fliping the rear shackle. I suppose I will just drill them out.

Has anyone reading this removed the rivets ?

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on May 7, 2006, 8:32pm

I Removed them on a 67 wag I had. After I got the heads off I used a bolt that I ground into a point and punched it out. Are you going to move the mount forward and down some to get the right driveline angle?

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 7, 2006, 8:47pm

From what members have said, its a full 4 1/2 inch grinding wheel per rivet, then knock them out, but the knock them out has never been a big issue...not sure why yours are.. The center pin is welded on the back ...need to break that weld point somehow...the back of the pin can be seen if I recall the right thing here...its only welded right on the pin to the hole that it sits in.

Default calpyro :

Post by calpyro on May 7, 2006, 8:55pm

I used a hole saw to cut the welds around the rivet. I forgot the specific size, but it just fit around the rivet and made pretty quick work of it all.

Default elohim1 :

Post by elohim1 on May 7, 2006, 9:15pm

Quote:
    I Removed them on a 67 wag I had. After I got the heads off I used a bolt that I ground into a point and punched it out. Are you going to move the mount forward and down some to get the right driveline angle?

What is the correct drive line angle 7degrees? I had aftermarket springs made at alcan spring and am in the process of installin Rockwells. The Front is in.

Thanks for the help fellows

Default warthog :

Post by warthog on Jun 9, 2006, 2:52pm

I had to redo my rear spring hanger. The shackle rusted to the bolt and twisted the bolt breaking the weld. I ground the heads off the rivets, drilled clean through the rivets, and then was finally able to pound out. I replaced the main bolt with a 7/8" x 5" grade 8 bolt. Ground down the sides of head to fit on backside and then welded in, like original. I drilled center and tapped for grease fittin.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Jun 9, 2006, 3:00pm

Where does the grease come out? Will that drilling significantly weaken the bolt? I realize stock had to be drilled as well...

Your work looks EXCELLENT!!

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jun 9, 2006, 3:18pm

Cross drill the bolt too JOn. I did the same thing when mine broke a few years back.... no worries about it breaking, mine put up with a ton of abuse...at least as strong as OEM.

Since then I shortened the truck and no longer have the stock mount, I did drill length wise and cross on my new bolts though.

The front (of the rear) spring hanger has a similar, if not identicle mount on the inside of the frame as you see on the outside, both must be flipped, a new pass thru hole for the spindle must be drilled.
    I had little trouble grinding the heads off too, only used part of a 4.5 wheel to do all 8 rivets. Must have been some manufacturing tolerences in play with them as far as hardness goes. Make sure you grind flush or a little more, then beat the snot out of them, they should goo, if not, hopefully the seperation of material between them and the frame will be enough of a heat resistor to allow you to melt them out with a torch without doing too much to the frame..may want to drape a wet rag around the area to act as a further heat sink... GOOD LUCK!