Thread: 2.5 rockwell axle questions

Default 2.5 rockwell axle questions

i can get a set of rockwells dirt cheap . so if i was to go with rockwells what are the pros and cons ? how hard and exspensive would it be to go with disk brakes . also are they posi limited slip or are they lockers ? if not can you get lockers and how much are they ? if you have any information you think i need to know just let me know . one other thing should i go with hydrolic steering or can i use standerd power steering ?

You should go look on Steel Soldiers for a ton of Rockwell info.
    Pro: Immensely strong, a lot of parts available (when compared to the stock ones).
    Con: HEAVY, super deep gearing, lot of parts to buy to make a real daily driver.

They come with open axles, but you can buy lockers. Hydrolic assist would be good for steering if you want it roadable. Full hydro if not.

What are your plans for the truck? Off road only with monster tires and big power? Get them! A daily driver? Skip it, for the weight and money you will have to invest to make them good for the road you would be better off with a D60/14b combo.
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Great off road axle, but as mentioned above, they are very heavy. Disc conversions are out there to shed some of the weight, but they will also shed some of your wallets weight too. Lockers and axles the last I looked were pretty pricey too. Stock gearing is 6.72:1 and I don't think there is much else available.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Here are some prices on parts. I have rockwells and this is what I have found so far.

Brakes are going to set you back about $2000 if you want wheel brakes. Pinion brakes around $600. Now there is plenty of info on the net that will show you how to build your own kit but I don't have time to piece it together so I ordered mine from red barn customs here in Yale Michigan

There are a few different lockers out there. Overson has his own and then there is a Detroit and ARB locker. The Detroit's are around $550 if I remember right and if you search you can find an ARB in the $1100 range.

I haven't decided on steering yet. I will most likely go with the hydro assist though just to keep the mechanical link in case of hydro failure.

Overson also overs a different gear ratio now too. I think its 4.90:1 and its $1200 each.

I found a set of HEMMIT wheels on Ebay for $1250 shipped and they work perfect with 46" XML's.

Then you have overall maintenance. All the parts are easy to find but some are more then double the price of a D60/14B.

I posted a link to my photobucket site with a bunch of pictures. I haven't done much to the axles yet because once I get it all together I am going to break it all down for sand blasting and powder coating.

Good to know about Ouverson offering a different ratio now.

Oh, and be sure you have a big friend, or an engine hoist handy when you go to remove the center section.

Wear thick leather gloves when you pull that center chunk. Those gears can cut a finger off real fast.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

One other thing too: I'd shy away from a pinion brake for anything but trail use. If an axle, spider gear, drive flange or something else internal were to break, you'd lose any ability to stop on that axle.

I have Overson Spools in mine. I believe around $300 each

After you change to wheel disk brakes will 15 in wheeels work