Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M715 Steering Coupler?

Default M715 Steering Coupler?

Hi,
    I have need for information regarding the parts associated with the steering shaft coupler.

My steering wheel pulls in and out about 2" and I have discovered way too much play at the coupler. The shaft at the coupler moves side to side in the tubular shaft housing. I suppose that the bearings are gone or that the retaining clip, or something else is missing in there.

I have not taken it apart, but I was looking for some insight before I go trying to pull the steering out of my truck. Not been there, not seen that.

I have circled the parts on the following parts diagram which seem to be worn or missing.

Could one of you amazing mechs and restorers offer some thoughts and/or info?

Thanks!
    Brian

Working from memory, been a while..
    That part is readily available. Same as the old Waggoneer and J trucks. I got one from BJ's https://www.www.bjsoffroad.com
    There's not a lot to them. One of the little blocks, part 22, might have fallen out or something like that. Worst case, one of those pins the blocks sit on broke off.
    No idea how likely that is to happen.

Mine was just as sloppy after replacement. I'm not fond of the design.

Thanks Von,
    I sent email to a FSJ parts place but they didn't answer. I'll try the company you sent.

Thx

Okay, so BJs Offroad sez they don't have those parts (at this time).

I found a NOS one here: (95 Euros). I wonder what shipping will cost?

http://www.army-spareparts.com/shop/...e-parts/misc-5
    Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; February 11th, 2020 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by plumas.placer.miner View Post
    Okay, so BJs Offroad sez they don't have those parts (at this time).

I found a NOS one here: (95 Euros). I wonder what shipping will cost?

http://www.army-spareparts.com/shop/...e-parts/misc-5
    Same coupler as on my '72 IH one-ton. You might check IHpartsamerica.com, roedelbros.com, among others.

I called a FSJ company (https://www.fsjjeepparts.com/) and the guy told me that his 1973 Jeep steering couplers are not the same (not heavy-duty enough he said). Not cross listed with anything before 1973.

So I will check the IH to see if they are the same or cross-listed.

Thanks Nail!

The coupler/u-joint at the bottom of the column must move in and out of it's self to work properly. It's held together by a snap ring + rubber boot.

The steering shaft end play is held by the plastic/nylon bushing at the bottom, and the spring pressing against a ball bearing race at the top.

Check to make sure that the nylon bottom bushing hasn't crumbled.
    Bottom bushing is the white one to the right.

Oooh...that's what I am talking about right there Dan!

I called all around the US looking for those parts! Memphis Equipment finally had 3 out of the 6 parts. He is still looking for more.

Now I need to tear into it to check and see what exactly I need (as if I don't have enough projects to do on that truck already! But steering is important I figure.

Heck, I am still working on making the truck safe to drive!

This MIGHT work:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A Full Size Jeep technician told me that this assembly (photo that Nail provided) isn't heavy-duty enough. He had them in stock, but he didn't recommend them for my application because they aren't cross listed for any Jeep year below 1973.

So, I broke down (insert happy sobbing here) and bought the one in Greece. The entire assembly NOS (upper shaft plus complete coupler assembly) was $230.68 and that includes shipping. I asked for a tracking # and I used PayPal to pay for it.

I didn't think that was a bad price. It looks just just like the one in Dan's photo...all pretty in black. haha.

They have lotsa hard-to-find parts.

http://www.army-spareparts.com/shop/...re-parts/m-715