Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone swapped in a 292 chevy

Default anyone swapped in a 292 chevy

While working on my 67 the timing had been giving me trouble. Just replaced wires . while checking timig with light. Motor sounded like a 1/2 inch nut was bouncing around inside ,engine rpm died down a lot then noise stopped and rpm came back. Well that aint good. Pulled valve covers hoping to find rocker arm off. several valves a little loose but nothing drastic. Before something really comes loose I think I need to pull engine and break it down.
    Meanwhile I have a 292 straight 6 chevy available to me that runs good.
    I think the bell housing bolt pattern is the same as a small block, maybe I could use a adapter for small block swap?
    Has anyone done this swap. Anybody got any info that may help.

Rollie did one years ago...I believe you are right about the bellhousing and the adapter.

I remember it worked well he reported.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

DanMac has a chevy 6 in one of his trucks. I do not remember what the motor mounts look like, but I know a chevy to m715 trans adaptor was used. His truck works well with this set up.

I think thats what Porkchop put in his truck. Looks and works great.

Moosejr also has one. I asked the same question, March of last year, Porkchop posted some pictures of his with the offset motor-mount plate on the passenger side, ( search, Remember the 292's). I chose to move the frame-horn instead of the plate approach, I will try to get a picture up sometime Monday. Can't report how the thing runs, I have moved embarrassingly slow on this project.

Default Strt 6

Mike is right. My "daily driver" has a 230 chev inline in it which is basicly the same block as a 292. That motor was in the truck when I got it so I don't know a whole lot about the swap. It does use the same bell housing as my other truck with the sml block and they used the stock frame towers and hogged the bolt holes a little along with some home made plates that bolt to the chev mounts. The mounts span the distance from the block to the towers and it seems to work well. I think the 292 wood be a great choice myself but the 230 I have is pretty underpowered.

Default strt 6

I meant to ad that mine also uses the stock tranny and 200 transfer case as Mike mentioned but I don't know anything about the adapter plate, clutch or transmission input shaft used for the swap other than it bolts the chev bell housing to the T98. Any sml block kit should work for your swap.

Default Alternate Mounting Method

Moving the frame is easy, a couple of the bolts that hold the shock mount line up just right.

Quote Originally Posted by white433 View Post

Moving the frame is easy, a couple of the bolts that hold the shock mount line up just right.
    that 230 looks right in that engine bay.
    I can get a running 292 for free but the clutch, bellhousing and flywheel is gonna cost.
    I have a rusty 1968 m 715 with a fresh good running 350 in it . i'm afraid I 'm gonna have to take the 350 out and put it in my 67. Kid in braces,football,and everything else.
    If money was not a object, I'd put the 292 in .it looks like the motor belongs there.
    thanks for the info and the picture

Default 292

i just installed a 250 in one of mine. found a novak kit down in fl for right $, used the block adapters for a 69 chevy truck, rubber insulators for the same year & cut the "lip" off to make them sit flat down on the frame mounts. then just moved the hole around on the frame mount to fit the hole in the insulator and BANG- strait six in a jeep. had to get creative with p/s - fabbed my own brackets to mount above the alt, scored hei & double pulleys & water pump at junkyard for $20! havnt got it running yet, busy getting ready to go back oversea again but dont lack much- clutch linkage & radiator hoses. what did you boys use for fans? looks like an electric will work best for me.
    andy