Thread: 12v conversion

Default 12v conversion

I know it has to exist but I can't find it. Where's the FAQ on a 12v conversion? I've looked through an can't find much on it and the search isn't being helpful. My M715 will show up on Tuesday and the previous owner started a 12v conversion and it'll be my job to finish. So I'm going to need all of the help I can get. I know that it's got a new fuse box and most of the wires already run, but outside of that I haven't gotten to dig into it yet. So any help you guys can give I'll take.

Thanks

No Problem--been there doing that. I just started with a new painless harness. Found a good home for my 24 volt harness with Beast. Glad I took the time to take it out instead of just hacking away.

The painless harnesses are kinda pricey. I bought my harness from Hotrodwires.com they were quite a bit less than painless. I was able to get a 18 circuit harness for less than 300 bucks new and I think the painless was around 5 hundred.

I agree, Painless was about 1/2 again as much as the kit I used. I only used a 15 circuit and still have 2 or three unused (I did keep it very simple tho'). Plus I put my battery under the hood which freed up all the space inside the battery box.

Yeh I've decided to scrap what the previous owner started on the 12v conversion and just start over. I didn't go with a Painless kit I got this one from a distributor out of SC that came recommened by a few friends. The kit was only $135 shipped for a 20 circuit. All the wires are labeled and my friends have had good luck with them. Hopefully I will too. I'm also going to move the battery to under the hood, but only because the battery box is MIA.

Bought my harness on ebay---got a switching panel and the 18 fuse Gm truck harness for 300. The harness was 400 from summit. Sold the switching panel so I'm about 150 for the harness. Bid on quite a few before I got this one-people driving up prices. I really wanted the painless as I know people who have used them and the quality is very good.

I've used the painless harnesses a couple of times and I have to say they are the cats azz!! That being said I am sticking with the stock harness but adding a fuse box. I just like the Mil look and have already purchased a new style light switch to use - so I'm kind of stuck with the stock harness I guess.

For those on a budget, I have used the harness from 74-80 chevy trucks, with no a.c. These are a very simple harness, and are very plentiful. Just find one that hasnt been butchered to much.