Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Diesel

Anyone out there running a Cat 6 cylinder in their 715? I was just thinking about how bad that would be. Can it be done, or is it too much trouble?

what kind of Cat 6?
    **I heart Bump_r **

I guess thats part of what I am wondering is which ones would work. What I want from mine (ideally) is a torque monster, and I cant think of anything better than a Cat 6.

do they make one small enough is what I mean. I don't know much about diesels, but if memory serves the older F**d 6.9's were Cats... don't know any 6 cyl though.
    **I heart Bump_r **

6.9s were Navistars (international again, now)
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

I would think it is like any thing else...How much time and money do you have. If you got plenty of both anything is possible.

THEY'RE BIG. Like 1500# big. Like BIG. As big as a multifuel big. Kiss your kingpins goodbye!
    Big Blocks RULE!

CaptianMorgan

Im a Caterpillar instructor. I don't believe the engine compartment of a 715 is large enough. The 3116/26 engine would be the great choice but it's and inline 6 and I believe you would have to cut the fire wall to get and aditional 15-20 inches plus the drive train can't handle the the aditional torque that this engine produces,plus the work to get the drive train operational would out of this world but it's nothing money can't fix.
    Caterpillar has aquired Perkins engines and some of those engines might work ,but they are heavy and they don't have the necessary Hp.
    To give you and example the 3116/26 is 10 inches to long to fit in an F350 Ford and that engine compartment is much bigger than the 715 .The only Cat. engine that might work would be the 3208 it would be real tight and the engine is very heavy.

do they make one small enough is what I mean. I don't know much about diesels, but if memory serves the older F**d 6.9's were Cats... don't know any 6 cyl though.

Tacoma, First of the Ford 6.9 is not a Cat. engine it's an International engine,it is the older brother to the 7.3 power stroke.The 6.9 engine is 440 cubic inch engine I have one in my pickup I'm happy with it ,but it would take a lot of work to fit it in.
    There are no Cat engines that are small enough to fit in the engine compartment it's about 15-20 inches to long you would have to do some major cutting plus getting the drive train lined and working again would not be my idea of fun.You could possibly find a Cat.(Perkins) engine that might work they are heavy and lack the Hp you might want. If cutting and welding are no problem and you want a Cat. engine I would recomend the 3116 mechanical ,it weights in at about 1200 Lbs. dry long and tall. even at 165 Hp. it has enough torque to shread you drive train.

If you are looking for a great automotive Diesel that older check out VW Volvo used VW engines that are inline 6 cylinders and the engine is very good

PS.I've beeen teaching Diesel engines for 24 years.

50cal, not to nit pick ya, but the 6.9 is 420 ci and 7.3 is 444 ci. I'm on my 3rd thuck in 15 years ('83,'86, and currently '89)

John