Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: porkchop : Spark color?

Default barrman :

Re: Spark color?
    Post by barrman on Sept 18, 2006, 9:36am

Do all the above stuff for the coil. If that doesn't work, go back to the basics. Points clean and proper gap? Condensor new? Besides the above wiring troubles, it sounds like the condesor is not right. You will chase that forever if it is it. Change your wiring and then look at the distributor.

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Sept 18, 2006, 10:19am

Quote:
    Usually the bypass allows for the full voltage of a 12 volt system (I know you are running 24) to go to the coil when cranking and then drops it to 9 or 9.6 volts when running...5.4 in the cranking mode is WAY LOW and does indicate a very weak spark...less than half of what would normally be there in the start mode...

I would pull the resistor and hook to the one battery at least for testing...in the long run, I would run a voltage reducer...24 to 12 volt unit...which I believe you ordered a bit ago...

Jon, I do not have a resistor, as stated above I am running a resistorless coil. I am also using a voltage reducer from 24 to 12.

Tim, I looked at it all but I will look at it again, never hurts and I may have missed something. But everything is new, dizzy, cap, rotor, points and condensor.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Sept 18, 2006, 11:00am

However the coil is getting only 5.4 volts, it needs to be 12 or so when cranking and then, most systems usually drop it to, 9-9.6 volts in the run mode....

You need more voltage in start mode...whether your reducer is doing it or batteries are low or whatever, you need to increase that voltage to get a good spark...

Default tomcat :

Post by tomcat on Sept 18, 2006, 11:28am

The voltage reducer maybe the problem. If its a switched circuit type it requires a minimum voltage to work. This voltage drops too much while cranking the starter so the reducer cannot work properly.
    Other possibility is that the voltage reducer cannot deliver enough current. Depends on the coil.

If you know somebody whos firm in electronics he can calculate you a proper resistor which would be enough for running the 12v coil on 24 volts. Must be a power resistor. Had this in one truck long time ago and it worked fine.

But first try the one battery trick mentioned before.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Sept 18, 2006, 11:59am

What color is the spark at the points when you are cranking the engine? Use a screw driver to make the points spark with the engine sitting still. If you get the lame spark while cranking and bright blue while sitting, then I agree with the comments about your reducer being the problem.

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Sept 19, 2006, 6:17am

With the screwdriver I get a nice blue spark. I threw the battery charger on the one of the batteriers last night and will do the other today, just to be safe. I am then going to try it without the convertor and see what happens.

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Sept 19, 2006, 4:56pm

Got home from work and tried it again with two freshly charged batteries. I left the convertor on to see what I was getting while cranking and I was now getting 14.4 volts, this is with the convertor still hooked up. So I dumped a little gas in it and tried again. It sounded like it wanted to go but just wouldn't go. I played with the dizzy and I figured that it must be off. I moved the wires over one and then tried again. IT CAME TO LIFE!!! Boy is it loud with no exhaust and in the garage. It would not idle but I need to make some adjustments. Just happy that it started. One step closer to finishing. I am going to get it to move under it's own power and then pull it out of the garage to make all the adjusts. It won't be so loud and the exhaust fumes won't be bad. When it is all done I will take it to the exhaust shop.

Default hiker :

Post by hiker on Sept 19, 2006, 8:44pm

HURRA!!

Default oilcan :

Post by oilcan on Sept 20, 2006, 5:58am

GOoooOO PORKY!

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Sept 20, 2006, 7:42am

Way to go!