Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: barrman : Tale of Three Hitches

Default fisherman :

Re: Tale of Three Hitches
    Post by fisherman on Sept 14, 2006, 8:02pm

Did you make a place for your tow chains when you did your reinforcements? I have a receiver off a wagoneer, I might cut it up and do something similiar.

Default barrman :

Re: Tale of Three Hitches
    Post by barrman on Sept 15, 2006, 8:06am

Todd,
    I hauled 3 big round bales with a 2,000 pound trailer on both of the previous hitches. That is 8,000 pounds or more with a "whole lot" on the hitch. This hitch is welded better than those because I have the MIG now. It should be better all around. I will be towing Pistolnuts M715 230 miles each way to the Texas FE in 3 weeks with this hitch. I will probably put my equal to the M715 in weight '66 Chevy on it and drive around some here in the next few days just to satisfy myself that it is up to the job.

I was going to put a plate underneath the female reciever tubing for safety chains. But, I had to lengthen my chains on the trailer when I borrowed a friends D2500 for the National FE trip. This makes them almost the perfect length to hook together through the pintle hook and not be too tight in full 130 degree jacknife backing and turning. I look at the pintle as at the least equal to my reciever and probably stronger than it. Plus, it is higher up on the truck. This will keep the front of the trailer from digging in if the hitch does brake and the chains take over.

I will get pictures after I paint everything this weekend.