Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: barrman : Green Weekend (7 pictures)

Default barrman : Green Weekend (7 pictures)

Green Weekend (7 pictures)
    Post by barrman on Sept 18, 2006, 8:42am

I wanted my truck to be at least 1/2 green by the Texas FE in a few weeks. I also knew I needed to have specific other things done before I painted the inside of the cab. Battery relocation, 3lever switch installed and working, spare steering column painted and rebuilt, replacement seats available, FSJ heater system painted and test fitted and a few other things. All those items got done, so this was the weekend to do it.

I forgot to take any pictures before I started prepping Friday night after I drove the M715 home from work. Here is a picture before I shot the paint for Phase 1.

Phase 1 was supposed to be the dash, foot wells and around the shifters. I mixed enough paint to do that only to discover that my paint gun wouldn't fit under the dash to get the foot wells. So, I threw as much paint at the not accesible areas I could and did a little more of the floor.

I love the way the Auto Meter gauges turned out. I taped up the lenses, but not the surrounding gray. I couldn't get a picture with or without flash that really showed how good the gauges look, but this is the next best.

Phase 2 included removing the seats, battery, all switches from my center console, speakers, gun rack, sanding inside and out, removing the doors and taping around the engine so I could get the firewall under where the heater is going to go. Between doing all that, a soccer game for Colton and 6 hours for a trip to get more stuff from Sermis, I didn't get to paint again until Sunday morning.

It turned out good though.

Then I started putting it all back together again. Including the new matching seats from some kind of big military truck.

I don't have as much room for my leg to get between the seat and steering wheel when getting in and out, but they look right. I would also suggest that if you are in the planning stage, make your switch panel removable. Mine isn't and I spent over an hour taking it apart and then another hour putting them all back in again. But, I finally got it all back together and ready to drive to work today about 2000 Sunday evening.

I also spent a lot of time helping and doing some painting for Colton on his Trail 50 frame and parts. Here he is prepping his parts.

The only troubles I had besides the time spent on switches was the new steering column. I had it assembled finger tight in a vise and it turned good and the horn switch actually did what it was supposed to. I installed the column, hooked everything up and then tightened the wheel down. I heard a crunch and the wheel would barely turn. We had 3" of rain last night and this morning (yippie!) so I couldn't run this morning. I took the steering wheel off. I will post pictures tomorrow, but basically the ring the wire connects to is all twisted up and the plastic is busted some and the little contact that touches the ring is twisted. I bought the entire column in March from Barry to get just those parts. Now I ruined them. Anybody have any or a source?

Phase 3 was supposed to be the tailgate and rear frame area. I never got to it. Maybe this weekend I can do the entire bed exterior. I have to do a lot of welding and grinding to get it ready though. By the way. I bought 4 gallons of paint in March. I finished the 2nd gallon off doing the last little bit on the cab and the motorcylce. So I guess I am 1/2 way done now.

Default compexp :

Re: Green Weekend (7 pictures)
    Post by compexp on Sept 18, 2006, 8:45am

looks great!

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Sept 18, 2006, 9:47am

I love that color! Looking great, Tim! And I really like those seats. You don't know what they're out of?

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Sept 18, 2006, 9:57am

Is that the horn contact ring you need?

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Sept 18, 2006, 10:07am

The ring that goes between the steering wheel and the column and the little contact that screws into the bottom of the wheel. I have good stuff for the drivers side of the wheel.

I "think" the seats are from a 5 ton, but I am not sure. They have the springs to help raise and lower the highth, but not to cusion the ride.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Sept 18, 2006, 10:11am

Which piece?

Default beast :

Post by beast on Sept 18, 2006, 10:22am

The seats look like the new style hi-backs out of a humvee? I know someone here on the Zone had used them before.

Default thetroublemaster :

Post by thetroublemaster on Sept 18, 2006, 10:46am

Looks really sharp Tim!! You are fast. It would take me a week just to paint one pedal arm...:^))

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Sept 18, 2006, 10:58am

Great Job Tim, remember to post some pics of your hitch would you please. I will be starting on mine after next weekends PacNWFE.

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Sept 18, 2006, 11:38am

I have one of those rings. You should be able to swap it out at the FE unless you want it sooner.

I don't want much in return. Just for you to paint my truck. I will even provide the paint.

Deal or no deal?