Thread: heepey : Anyone swapped in a big block mopar?

Default heepey : Anyone swapped in a big block mopar?

Anyone swapped in a big block mopar?
    Post by heepey on Aug 17, 2006, 3:57pm

Am getting a '68 this weekend. Still running 230. Have a Dodge 205 tcase to put in. Have a 400 and a 727 out of a 2wd Dodge that needs a home. I have some Mopar and FSJ swapping experience. What do you all think?
    Thanks in advance

Default brute4c :

Re: Anyone swapped in a big block mopar?
    Post by brute4c on Aug 17, 2006, 4:55pm

I know 440 has been done byat least 2 people..though I have no details to offer...1 was for sale on ebay in the Chicago area around 2000 and one I received a pic of the outside of from Memphis Equipment...had 44's on it....

I persnally want to use the 400 with one of the new overdrive transmissions built off the 727...and built up more than stock of course...running stock axles, I am thinking a 205 or 241HD tcase with a klune underdrive as well....gives one as good or better than stock gearing and a real nice overdrive....

I think Krob in Texas is looking at a big block Dodge as well?

I like the 400 because of that short stroke....as long as one has gears at least as good as the stock truck, there is no real need for more torque off road with the 400 in there....and on road, plenty of power to handle pulling the trucks weight wit overdrive as long as no real heavy towing is in your plans...for that, I would go with the 440...

383 has the forged crank...always a plus....I think one can get a forged crank into the 400...dont know cost though....isnt absolutely necessary but I like the idea...

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Aug 17, 2006, 6:26pm

400 cranks are possible, but not really worth it. if you are building anything that needs a forged crank you would be using a 440 or a stroker kit on the 400. Either way, the 318 I dropped in my 715 seems to fit pretty well, a low deck big block shouldn't have many issues. I did my best with the 318 to center the shifter on the attached NP435 4 speed, so I had to do a little firewall clearance work, but nothing major. With an auto (yuk) you could scoot it forward a bit to avoid most of that. Only thing I would caution you about is cooling. There isn't a lot of room in the 715 for a big radiator like a B series or RB series is used to. I played hell keeping the mild 383 in my '74 W100 cool and ended up with a 26" 3 core with wider cores and a dual electric fan setup to keep it from messing around in the heat. With the 715, you have to do some creative work on the radiator and grille panel to fit a decent radiator so make sure you account for that when you do your measurements. The way I did my engine mounts I can swap my 383 in at anytime. Just needs a little more room for the driver's side valve cover and the before mentioned cooling thought out. I just cut the factory 230 mounts off, shortened them, and moved them into place for the 318 and welded them back on the frame.

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on Aug 17, 2006, 6:55pm

Shouldnt have any fitmant problems at all, there is still a CJ around here that I put a 400 mopar in years ago. I did rearrange some of the bracketry though to fit the hole better.