Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions needed

Default Opinions needed

OK folks I am at a cross roads here. I have had my M715 for 3 years. I have driven this one once. It seems that I will never get around to completing the project in the near future. Do I just let it sit and go to waise before I get it done or sell it to someone that will complete it and use it?

Here is what I have to work with. Look at it and give me your opinion.
    I have a rebuilt Chevy small block to go in it. I have an SM420 trans or a 700R4 to pic from. I have removed the 24 volt system and rewired the truck. The front clip has been removed for the transplant. New engine mounts from Advance Adapters for the wide frame jeeps to small block.(not installed) Battery box relocated to the bed. Stockton wheels 15x10. Detroit locker in the stock rear. 4 point roll bar inside the cab. Custom metal roof. Bed and frame Bobbed 12" while retaining the rear side frames for a factory look and tailgate (that I do not have).
    A Ramsey extended winch bumper W/ custom mounts for the frame.
    An industrial 8500lb Ramsey winch that need rebuilt.
    Fuel tank has not been completed (aluminum) but have all the parts left to finish it.
    These are the parts I have not installed yet:
    312 cid small block chevy
    All new gauges.
    Bucket seats.
    Flex-O-Lite dual eletric fans
    Seat belts w/ shoulder unit.
    power steering off an S10 .
    New front springs.
    New dual circuit master cylinder
    all new rubber brake lines.
    New front shackles
    I have a spare NP200 and the factory trans. Truck is in fair to rough shape but can be put together with alot of time and some money. If I sell it, I do not want to part it out unless some want parts that are not installed yet.

I have run out of spare money to finish it any time soon with the new baby around. I am working 2 jobs and do not have the time to finish it even if I had the money. So do I sit on it for another 3 years or sell it before it goes to waist and try to recover some ofwhat I have in the project already?
    What do you think I should do
    67' M715

Sir, you have a fine selection of parts and acessories, should make a fine vehicle someday. I guess the real answer is; do you see yourself ever having time to finish the project? If you don't then it would be unfair to keep the truck from being brought back to life by someone else.
    If you can bear to part with it, decide what your minimum dollar would be and put it up for bid.
    Just my .02cents.........

Wow... Tough call, man.

Baby on the way, huh? If you don't have a bit of cash stowed away already, I'd probably sell the project if it were me. Babies have a habit of bringing with them lots of little nickel-and-dime bills that need paying and such. Another M715 project will be there when you are more ready down the road.

Of course, it's completely your call, but I'm just telling you what I'd do if I was in your boots. And it sounds like you believe this current project will deteriorate if you can't get to it in the next few years. Well, they often do....

Good luck!
    -- Tim Taylor

Between a rock and a sad place.....
    Well, the baby is coming/here, there are many M715 around and they pop-up for sale fairly regularly....so family then self. I have a 74 bronco that I have had for 12 years. Haven't driven it in 5 yrs, but I am slowly getting the parts together, and now my M715 is cutting in line, but I will sit on it because it is costing me NOTHING to stay put.
    So if the money is needed for the family NOW, sell. If not I would sit on it.
    There are a lot of personal details that will sway your decision, many of those we will never know. Do what's right, discuss it with the wife, and we will always be here when/if you come back.
    Good luck and congrats on the new rug-rat!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkOutline View Post
    ...discuss it with the wife...
    Oh yeah. I forgot about that! That helps too. Especially as a baby is about due!
    -- Tim Taylor

The baby is already here. She is 15 months now. I bought the truck right before we moved. The plan was to wait until we got settled in the new place before starting on the truck. After about a year I started to work on the truck. Removed the front clip and the old chevy 292. Thats when the wife's Chrohn's disease got worse. After 2 surgeries and alot of time in the hospitial another year passed. Thought all was well and started collecting parts. Then OOPS, wife is pregnant. I thought OK I will get a few more parts and start after the child is born. It has been 2 years since I said that and I have not touched the truck. In fact it was in a friend's boby shop and he pushed it out in to the lot. So between the kids and the wife's condition flaring up every once and a while I can barely keep up with repairs on the cars we drive, let alone the M715.
    I would love to keep the truck and finish it, and the wife does not care either way. It is not costing me anything to keep it but to just see it collect dust and rust TICKS ME OFF. I am afraid that if I wait too long it would cost too much to put it back right.

RH
    67' M715

If you have a place where you can pack up all the loose parts, carefully sort and store them, that would be ideal. Stick the chassis and whatever's attached to it under a car cover and roll it into the corner of the garage/shop.

Out of sight, out of mind and you never know, someday someone might make you an offer you can't refuse, or your situation will change and you'll have time to put it back together, maybe your kiddo can help out, too!

Personally I'd keep it.
    I took mine apart a few years ago and ran out of cash. I've collected most of the parts but it just sits there collecting dust. Now that I'm back on the Zone its motivated me to go out and start putting those parts on. Still not costing me money but I find the time spent working on it alone in the garage to be very relaxing.
    Just my .02

I have been working on mine for 4 years. I don't get very much time. But I still am not giving up. I will finish it. Hopefully this winter. I make myself do something on it almost every week. Lots of little steps and stay focused will get it done. Good luck with your decision.

I bought my first truck over 14 years ago and its still nowhere near done. I have done a few things on it over the years, and things are moving a little faster now. I was in the same boat. Kids got between the truck and me, still are. It costs me nothing to keep it either, except that it has deteriorated some since I got it. I had a good cab but now will have to replace it. I think if you have room for it and you think you might get to it one day, then keep it. You've got a great start on it. If you think you might lose interest and will never have time, then finding it a new home is probably a good choice.

Good luck and don't lose hope, there are a lot of us on here piecing these trucks together with little time and no money. It can be done but it takes a while.