Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock Axle Strengths?

Question Stock Axle Strengths?

OK this is a queston for the guys that are wheeling there trucks. I am planing on running a 38-39.5" tire open front (for now) and lock the rear. It will see moderate wheeling, I know it's not a rockcrawler but I still want to have fun with it. Am I being paranoid thinking Rockwells already or are the stock axles as weak as the storys I am hearing.

My reasoning is I don't want to throw money where it dosen't need to be spent. I can almost build a set of rockwells for what the disk brakes and lockers will cost for the 60/70. I would love to keep the stock drivetrain but knowing that repair parts are hard to come by and the costs of them would I be better off just rebuilding the brakes running them for now and starting on some rocks?

Just wanted to get some ideas from the guys that have already done it.

Thanks

matthew

For moderate wheeling and moderate power (eg SBC), the stock axles with 38's work fine. If you are worried about spares, the locate an extra set of stock axles and steal the parts from them.

It really comes down to how you drive. I have a locker in the rear and an open front. Running the XZL Michelin tires with a Big Block Chevy engine I like the stock axles. But, I don't put myself in full lock steer mash the gas situations.

I think the stock setup with the bigger tires is perfect for highway use and towing trailers. Very stable and proven engineering behind the suspension. All of the Rockwell'ed 715's I have ever seen have a softer suspension and seem to flex more even though they are higher CG. Plus, the front chunk is right under the oil pan so you have to do a spring over just about.

My suggestion:

Trail only-Rockwell and roll cage

Mild trail and street-rear locker, lockout hubs, Michelin tires, power steering and enjoy.

Daily driver and rare trail- CUCV axles with disc brakes.

That is just my personal look at it. Build it however you want since it is your truck. Nobody is going to tell you it is wrong.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks,

I think my main thing with the stock axles is the brakes, I have heard everyone talking about the problems they are having with them. I just don't want to have those worries, but I don't want to shell out the cash for disks if I will be replacing them in a year or so.

I think for now I will try to round up some spairs, and fab up a front disk conversion, weld the rear diff and see what they do.

Properly adjusted drum brakes work just fine. I have mine and have no complaints. I swapped over to a Corvette mc because my stock one wore out. Iam adding Hyrodoost because I got a really good deal on it and my right foot has been giving me medical problems for a few years. The less pushing I have to do the better I walk.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Barrman drove my truck and complemented me on how well my power brakes worked. My truck doesn't have power brakes. Just a dual-reservoir mc with a whopping big line to the front brakes.

I have stock axles with detroits front and back, 454 and wheel it moderate and no breakage yet. i do have an extra set axles if/when they have a problem. I have a couple videos of what I consider moderate if you wanna check it out. http://www.myspace.com/81169884

By the way the drum brakes are not very good when wet no matter how they are adjusted especially in low range and an automatic going down a steep hill. dont ask me how I know lol

Kevin, the couple vids I got to watch before the filter here at work booted me were cool, You running detroits front and rear?

Whoa, great to see another M-715 in Oregon. I saw those vids on YouTube a while back, cool to see that those are your vids.

I'm glad to hear you are running a 454 with Xl's and haven't had any problems yet. How do you like the Detroits both front and rear? I'm running the XL's on stock axles with the stock engine. I've got a Power Lock in the rear, thinking about putting one up front. Also thinking about maybe going with Detroits, so I'd be interested to hear what you think about them.

Not saying the M-715 axles are necessarily weak (wouldn't brag that they are exceptionally strong either though), but this is what I found in the stock D60 front axle underneath the M-725 I bought a while ago. This was with 34" NDT's and the stock 230 engine. I'm not sure what the guy did to cause this, but here is the carnage.

Front pinion all chewed up.

Twisted splines on Passenger side shaft.

From the direction of the twist in the shaft splines, it appears that this failure occured while the axle was in reverse, which is the weak side of the ring and pinion. Another interesting thing is that while the pinion is destroyed, the ring gear has a few minor knicks in it, but no other noticable marks or scratches, it is in really good shape. Still, this proves that it is possible to do damage with the stock engine and 34" tires.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Yes I have detroits front and rear, with an automatic they work well in the snow and ice on the road. All you have to do is coast around corners and you will be fine. The XL's are not that good in the mud as you can see in one of the vids they turned into big doughnuts(if you noticed the CJ in the background it has Goodyear MTR's and they stayed clean up the same hill with the same amount of wheelspeed). But the tires sure drive nice down the highway compared to the NDT's.
    The idea of putting detroits in this truck was so i could actually be easier on the rig off-road. With open diffs I found that I was way harder on it which usually breaks things.

That is interesting about the pinion breakage, I would think that the ring and pinion on our Dana60's would be as strong as the newer ones. I always thought that the axles are the weak link.

btw, If anyone wants to get together for a run I'm usually able to go with a little notice.

Here's another link of my engine and radiator if interested. I did post this up a while ago when people had questions about the install.

http://www.geocities.com/ckswayze/index.html
    Kevin