Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric fan control

Default Electric fan control

Anyone run an electric fan? I bought a Mark VIII fan to use-big SOB-18 inch thing Ford used. What do you use for a controller? Switch? Thermostat switch? I've heard DC control makes one that "ramps" up the fan as needed depending on the temp.

I have been using electric fans on vehicles for many years. I have yet to find an "automatic" controller that last more than a few years. Everytime they failed, I was pulling a trailer in the middle of a Texas summer in traffic. I converted all the vehicles with electric fans over to a manual switch controlled by me.

When I put the Big Block in the 715 I had a twin Taurus fan set up on the stock 230 radiator. I blew a the fuse for the fans somehow and it got up to 220 before I figured out the fan wasn't working. When I swapped in the Summit aluminum radiator, I went back to a non clutched mechanical fan. Less to keep up with and works everytime.

My Mini is still electric, but I don't drive it in the summer. My '66K20 is still electric fan and 200 on the gauge is "good" for a summer trailer pull.

Everybody likes something different so don't let me be the deciding factor. But, I went all electric on my stuff and have gradually switched back.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The last controler I used had to be bypassed at the '04FE.
    Since all my stuff has a good temp guage I just use a switch for the fan. I like it as in the cold weather it lets me warm up the engine a little faster - in the summer I usually just flip the switch as soon as I start up.

painless wiring has some nice setups... all preterminated harnesses and leads.

if you use an auto-sensor, best bet is to also have a manual selector too. best bet is using a 4-way switch [auto]-[off]-[low]-[high] that way you can turn it off when you need, or on high when idle.

also helps to have a master kill-switch under the hood so when you're working on it you don't have to worry about it comming on at the worst possible moment.

Default check on pirate

Do a search on pirate they have a few kits listed

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I haven't had a controller survive very long either, and usually resorted to a manual switch.

I've never used an electric fan as my primary cooling though, just as a supplemental unit to keep the engine temp reasonable in traffic, and the A/C blowing cold. Particularly with R134a conversions.

I did a couple searches on Pirate, Great Lakes 4x4 and Mustang sites. Alot of people run the DC Control FK35 units. I bought the Mark VIII fan because it seems everyone runs these or the Taurus fans. This Mark fan is one big SOB as I said. Hooked it to a battery and its seems like it pushes a ton of air. Just didnt want to bias any responses by mentioning DC Control first. The Mark fan is exactly the right size for the summit radiator I bought-looks like it was made for it. I could run the clutch fan but with the lower position of the SBC in the bay I'd have to make a fairly funky shroud as I dont want to cut my front bracing. I dont think it would cool correctly without a shroud--I did swap over to the 8 blade clutch fan when I junked the Jtruck but without the shroud???

Yeah I have a main kill switch-rewired the whole truck and liked the idea of retaining the switch-so I've got a Moroso in place of the stock one on the dash.

I am running the Mark 8 fan with a DC Controls FK35. I've actually been running the controller for over 2 years now without a problem. It's a good design, aside from the pin header for the temp sensor which is not weathersealed and is fragile. I would recommend sealing the pin header with silicone rtv after you set the operating temp jumper(s).

I was running a 4 core FSJ V8 radiator and triple electric fans. I recently replaced that setup with a semi-custom Ron Davis 28"x19" double-pass aluminum radiator and the single Mark 8 fan. This combo is a thing of beauty. On the road, the temps stay right around (or sometimes cooler than) my thermostat temp (180F) and the fan doesn't even turn on. When stopped, the fan ramps up so smoothly you can't even tell its turned on. It will hold 185F idling all day long with the fan running at 25% and that's with a good portion of the air simply recirculating over & under the radiator (I need to cover the gaps still). Granted it's "Winter" here in Phoenix so the highest temp it's seen so far is 91F.

PS: I'm baaack!

Welcome back Drew!
    Beautiful work...as always...and good pics and tech. SWEET!!

Thanks-thats the kind of endorsement I was looking for on the control unit. The fan looks more than capable but I wasnt sure how I was going to regulate it. And if it keeps things cool in your winter 91 it should do well in our summer--which rarely gets that hot lol