Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: diffs for stock axle

Default diffs for stock axle

Stock Axles: I got the locker in the rear now and am ready to start on the front. I have done some reading on diff characteristics and talked with friends on whether to install a locker or limited slip but it sounds like I will have to have the stock gears set up again either way. Do any of you know of a version of these that I can do myself?

either way you go Id run lockout hubs as it will help when you go to turn on the road plus keep your front end from rotating. setting up gears is really fairly easy. youll need to remove the front axles to do it and its a perfect time to check everything out and replace any seals, brakes, ujoints,ect. a locker is good for mostly offroad use and a limited slit is more friendly on the street but not as good offroad as a locking diff. either way, youll be impressed in off camber situations with 2 wheels on the ground.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

When I ordered the rear locker I told them I was going to use them front and rear but the guy said he felt that was a mistake for anything used on the street. I told him I would probably be running hubs too but he said that when in 4wheel on snow and ice and even muddy trails that it will hardly turn at all because of lockers, and that a limited slip would be the way to go. Anyone here use lockers or limited slip on snow and ice?

The post above that referenced limited-slip differentials in the front, as being more appropriate, is right on track. Unless your rig is a dedicated off-road vehicle, installing a positive locking differential, like a Detroit Locker, in the front axle can be dangerous when cornering.

When cornering, the two front tires/wheels should not turn at the same speed since the inside wheel needs to turn in a tighter (i.e. smaller) radius in order to create the "turn" or move the vehicle in a different direction. A locking front differential will try to make the front two tires/wheels lock together and turn at the same speed, whereas a limited-slip will allow one side tire/wheel to "slip", thus enabling the vehicle to stay on track.

A Detroit locker in the rear on many vehicles will often disengage and reengage due to the same cornering reasons and allow the rears to "realign". Generally, this is accompanied by a load "boom" and you may feel that the rear axle just exploded. The front tires/wheels on any front steering vehicle are subjected to a lot more differentiation in the turning cycle of each side of the axle, thus amplifying what occurs in the rear. This could cause the front of the vehicle, when driven on loose, slippery, or icy terrain, to maintain a straight heading when you'd prefer it to go left or right.

When used in an off-road setting, generally the positive locking differential is used at slower speeds where the locker can disengage and realign itself in a safer manner. Air-lockers were designed to allow an open front differential that would act as a normal four wheel drive engagement until a driver required additional assistance in a slow moving manner, such as when the vehicle was stuck and such (i.e. power the air compressor that engaged the air-locker, which then provided a positive locking differential).

Somebody else will likely have a more professional explanation of the above, but in general, it is not safe to use such a device in the front steering axle. The gentleman you spoke with on the phone was wise to warn you of the potential problems associated with this use of lockers.
    Last edited by MarknessMonster; February 23rd, 2008 at 09:28 AM.

Alright I'll just stick with the limited slip. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by green goat View Post
    Alright I'll just stick with the limited slip. Thanks
    Personally, I wouldn't waste the money. I've never had much luck with limited slip units, and I don't see what big advantages they provide.

I would recommend the limited-slip setup in the front over the locker. I have done a LOT of off-roading with clubs, where people have had every possible combination. One of the problems with a locker in the front that hasn't already been addressed fully, is that because the front tires will turn at the same speed, the vehicle w.ill "crab" on hills in mud or snow, . . causing you to head sideways, . .when there is a dropoff over there, . .it isn't good. My friend had a CJ-5, locked on both ends, very well set up, AWESOME in most situations,. but had to winch up the hill in snow because it wouldn't go straight. I went right up this hill hardly spinning at all with my CJ with limited-slip in the back and open in the front. My recommendation is locker in the rear, limited-slip in the front with lockouts..The one thing with most limited-slips is that they have clutches that wear out, . . .anotherr good reason for the hubs. Only engaged when needed, . .those clutches will last a long time. . .

i have a powr-loc in the front 60 of my 72 chevy. back when it was mobile, it was night and day difference over an open diff in the front. i had 0 cornering problems even with the hubs locked in 2wd. in 4wd i had the same scrub you get with any part time 4wd system. i noticed no handling quirks whatsoever though. having a locked rear and a LSD front is the way to go if you cannot afford a selectable locker. in a snowy cornfield my 72 was a blast. i felt invinceable with that thing. as far as LSD's go i also reccomend the powr-loc. it is pretty basic design, and can be rebuilt with whatever ratio of steels and clutches you desire. that gives you the option of a very loose LSD all the way to basically a locker. i have seen people with powr-loc LSD's that don't spin the wheel thats in the air simply because its build exremely tight.
    Ryan

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I'd go with any type of locker or limited slip you choose, but add a set of locking hubs. Then it wouldn't be an issue when driving on the blacktop, because the wheels won't engage the rest of the driveline until you do so manually.

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    I'd go with any type of locker or limited slip you choose, but add a set of locking hubs. Then it wouldn't be an issue when driving on the blacktop, because the wheels won't engage the rest of the driveline until you do so manually.
    On the contrary, decide whether you are intending to use the truck specifically for off-road use or if you would also use it as a paved road vehicle that may at some point run into inclement weather and require engaging the front hubs on a DOT roadway.

If the latter is possible, it may be wise to install a limited-slip in the front, as opposed to a true locker. Additionally, if you're ever intending to resell the truck, you'd be wise NOT to do "what ever you want, because it's your truck", as you'd be limiting the market for future buyers. This suggestion is purely my opinion.