Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ford 390 Swap?

Unhappy

hey fe swap-715 fans which i bet are few.

im kind of stumped on my build.
    using a 435 trans and mating it to d.trans case by building the shaft...but
    the yoke on the 435 is "big" real big. like 4.626" across. crawled under my 69 f 250 and measured the same set up and that yoke is about 3.635" or so....

? is do i knock myself out trying to match up a u joint or look for another yoke ????

Me personally I'd crack open my u-joint book and take a few minutes to look and see if there's a u-joint that'll work. If that came up short then I'd hunt down a new yoke. I've got a '63 352 and an unknown year Ford T98 in mine. The T98 is set up for a bolt on flange and the PO got a flange and shaft assembly that use the same u-joints as the rest of the drive shafts, so I got lucky.

i will try it...problem is i "had" the right yoke and let it go to the yard where i got the 435 on the back of a t-18...
    problem is 400 mile drive..
    my dumb a__ for loading this thing in the dark.
    but
    was free.
    think checker may have it if i can get the parts guys to let me get in back and away from the computer.

OK so this takes the thread back a few steps, but about this rear sump oil pan swap. I finally found one for a good price(it should be here today) and got a new pick-up tube, no dip stick so I'll figure that out later. But anyway I just saw that there is supposed to be a special main cap bot for these. There isn't a similar bolt on the FS pans. So most of you probably got the bolt when you pulled the pan, but did anyone run into this issue and do something else? I was thinking of just running the bolt through the tube mount and then re-torque the bolt. Any other ideas?

Thumbs up

Solved all thes issues last few days...

just pulled the cap bolt and gound it clean and put a 1/2 5 bolt on it and migged it on...was told "not to braze it" by old timer. had some real fabricating to do to build the short shaft from 435 to t case....

Good idea. I have a 428 CID in mine and running gear from Ford/GM trucks. My friend has a Buick V8 and running gear setup in his, borrowed from a 1969 Jeep Gladiator.

1967 Kaiser 715
    engine: 428 CID
    transmisson: NP435
    transfercase: NP205
    front axle: 1984 Chevy Dana 60 (Detroit No-Spin)
    rear axle: 1978 Ford, full-floating Dana 60 (Detroit No-Spin)

1968 Kaiser M715
    engine: 350 CID Buick V8 engine
    transmission: T-18 four speed
    transfercase: Dana 20
    front axle: Chevrolet Dana 60 (Detroit No-Spin)
    rear axle: Chevrolet, full-floating Dana 60 (Detroit No-Spin)
    Sven

Is anyone here still running an FE in their truck?

Hopefully I'll be starting the rebuild on a 390 soon and have the 390/T18/NP205 swap done by next spring.

I dug this thread up hoping to see what everyone else was doing for exhaust manifolds. I'd like to ditch the stock manifolds and go with headers... or anything that flows better than the stock manifolds.

Anybody?