Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 24v Distributor Problems - Not Turning

Ditto...make sure to go slow and not oversoften the aluminum...heat some, try to turn, heat more if needed...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Ditto...make sure to go slow and not oversoften the aluminum...heat some, try to turn, heat more if needed...
    Triple ditto, some heat, some persuasion but slow go.

Thank you all for the tips on removing the distributor. Some heat and a rubber mallet did the trick. I was rather surprised to find the distiributor shaft with no rust, no broken pins, and a nice film of oil coating everything. I'm guessing that this points to a sheared key on the drive gear as the culprit? Any other thoughts on something I could be missing? Thanks all again for the help! It's already saved me a lot of headache.

Boy you have me scratching my head on this.

Does the distributor shaft spin freely with your hand? If it does, hold the rotor firmly and try to spin the shaft.
    Maybe the pin is sheared, but doesn't look like it.

The driven gear on the oil pump is a press fit on the oil pump shaft.
    These gears have been known to spin slightly on the shaft and get the shaft out of time. The manual addresses this. Long shot, but maybe it has came completely loose?

The bronze drive gear on the crank shaft has substantial size key, I can't imagine it shearing. If it did, the engine would have lost the oil pump.
    Last edited by jeepdan; August 5th, 2017 at 08:32 PM.

The distributor shaft does spin freely. I didn't have the cap off when I was spinning the shaft, so I'll check that again today. I don't see a vacuum advance diaphragm on the side of the distributor, so I'm guessing there is a mechanical advance mechanism internally? I'll examine everything a little more closely to see if I can tell where the disconnect is occurring. Thanks for your suggestions!

Yes, mechanical advance only.
    If you have time to read the manuals at the top of the page , they are worth a million

So very strange... Today I checked things a little bit closer. I took the cap off the distributor and verified the rotor button is spinning when I turn the shaft. I am unable to turn the shaft while I hold the rotor button with my other hand. I mounting the distributor back - verified everything was lined up, and I am unable to turn the rotor button. I was figuring if the shaft had broken, or if the keyway on the gear had sheared I would be able to turn in. I've included a video of the video I initially took which showed me that the rotor wasn't turning.

Thanks for the suggestion on the manuals - they are very resourceful! Lots of detailed info and quite a bit in layman's terms - good for me!

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=1394163

Not sure how to view that video link.

Shine a bright flashlight down into the timing cover hole, and see if the oil pump shaft rotates while someone pushes on the starter button.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    Not sure how to view that video link.

Shine a bright flashlight down into the timing cover hole, and see if the oil pump shaft rotates while someone pushes on the starter button.

Thanks. I need to find a better hosting service. I will try that later this week.

Maybe this will work better:
    https://streamable.com/31t8h

Let me be certain that I understand. With the ignitor (distributor) installed, are you saying that you can't turn the rotor? You should not be able to rotate it when installed because it is physically connected to the oil pump etc.

The question in my mind is, did you try to crank the engine with the cap off and watch the rotor? The video didn't show that (I didn't see the fan turning).

If that is the case, get someone to mash on the foot starter switch and see if the rotor moves.