Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update on the bucking Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    Vacuum line is to vent ozone from the sealed ignitor. Critical even if not fording. Ozone eats plastic and bakelite so the cap will "dissolve" over time.
    I can attest to that. I had a Mallory dual-point distributor in my '72 Plymouth Satellite. The plastic parts of the points would swell up, crystallize and just turn to powder.

Thanks Ron for that information.

Thanks for all the answers. As for the timing issue, I thought the same thing kwai. I never loosened the ignitor at all. Just removed cap and rotor. The Pertonix 161A was a perfect fit. Have yet to road test the truck, but I hope the results are as good as I've read about in prior posts on this subject. I don't expect miracles, but reliability would be awesome. Hope I'm not beating this subject to death here on the Zone, so I'll give it a rest and re-post when I get the truck out on the road. Thank again all.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Always willing to help if I can...getting trucks in good running condition is one of our main goals...when you know more, post up!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks Jon, happy to report that I had the truck out last night and she ran wonderfully. No issues at all. I think a new coil would have done the trick, but I decided to install the Pertronics ignition system I purchased a couple of years ago. Installation was straight forward, and it was a perfect fit, with no alterations what so ever. Everything I've read about this system has been positive, I talked to a lot of cruise night people last night, and most of them have gone this route in their classic cars and trucks. All positive I might add. I like to keep things as stock as possible, but being hidden inside the ignitor, it doesn't bother me quite as much. Actually, what bothers me more is installing a Chinese coil into an American made beast. The coil I removed was installed on 7/29/2015. It lasted 23 months. In those 23 months I drove maybe 1000 miles. Wish I knew why they seem to burn up or fail so quickly.
    I will do my hometown 4th of July parade Tuesday at 1:00pm. I have another in the morning at 10:00am, but I think I'll pass on that one. Parades are really hard on the truck and also the driver if it's warm outside.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Wow...good news...LOVE IT!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Wow...good news...LOVE IT!!
    Thank you very much.

Great news! I hope this is the end of that "No Restart" foolishness. It takes all of the fun out of driving the trucks. I hate to be uncertain of my situation too.

Thanks Don. I'm only doing my hometown 4th of July parade today. I have confidence in the truck, but still uneasy about a breakdown in the middle of the parade. I absolutely hate this feeling. Time behind the wheel will help ease it I suppose.
    Happy 4th of July to you.

Thanks, Happy Independence day to you and your family as well. I amin Australia right now so not much celebrating going on here!