Thread: Steering joint easy fix...

I went to install my new G.Wagonqueer steering intermediate shaft today. Found out it won't work . So since I had the stock flex joint taken apart I decided to clean it a little and look it over.

I guess I should insert here that my steering had a ton of slop in it. On rough roads where the tires would wander, I had a nasty "clacking" noise that ran up the steering column and used the s. wheel like a big speaker, bugging the hell outta me. Culprit was the flex joint had too much play.

Anyhow the two little square lugs at the end of the steering column, inside the flex joint were worn so that measured one way it was maybe .100" less than the other. Easy enough, spin them 90 degrees and reassemble. Problem solved. Now I still have some play in the box but my newfouind agility makes me want to autocross the thing.

As far as you guys asking if the steering wheel is supposed to move in and out at all, the answer is a resounding NO. And you guys that are pulling apart the flex joint shouldn't blame it on weak parts (sorry Tom). At the end of the steering column, where the shaft enters the column is a little clamp that sets the steering wheel endplay and keeps the shaft from sliding up towards you while aslo keeping the flex joint from being pulled apart.

Chris

Chris,
    Thanks for the info. Mine moves toward me a bit. All along, I thought that Cadillac had stolen the telescoping wheel idea from Kaiser.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Chris, I'll have to check that clamp thing. Still and all...when I put that heavy retainer in mine, I put a grease fitting on the lower socket of that joint. I think that's a wise thing that would keep your newly spun blocks around for a long time.
    Big Blocks RULE!

I agree. I filled the joint with grease but the seal is history. For now it's just a crutch until I pony up the cash for real U-joints.

Chris