Thread: NP205 Parking Brake

Jester Guest

Default NP205 Parking Brake

For those who have done it, what is required to bolt on the NP200 parking brake assembly to a NP205?

I know a new output yoke would be required. Any machining of parts?

Looking for an option to the High-Angle disc kit ($$$$$$$$).

The output yoke bearing retainer on the left is a stock NP205 unit. The retainer on the right which is also the parking brake mount is for the NP200. Notice the groove in the 205 part? Have that groove cut in the 200 part and bolt it up.

The yokes only need to be changed if you have a 32 spline 205. The 10 spline units are just swapped out.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    The output yoke bearing retainer on the left is a stock NP205 unit. The retainer on the right which is also the parking brake mount is for the NP200. Notice the groove in the 205 part? Have that groove cut in the 200 part and bolt it up.

The yokes only need to be changed if you have a 32 spline 205. The 10 spline units are just swapped out.
    OK - that makes sense. txs

I will have to switch yokes as my 205 is a Dodge 32 spine. So I will need a yoke to hold the drum on and a U-joint yoke to bolt to the face of the drum.

Still think it would be cheaper than the $400 + for the disc brake kit.

you can add a disc parking brake to your np205 for a lot less than that. i did mine with new parts for about $150.00 or so. i did a write-up about it about a year ago. use the search to find it. al

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by osut362 View Post
    you can add a disc parking brake to your np205 for a lot less than that. i did mine with new parts for about $150.00 or so. i did a write-up about it about a year ago. use the search to find it. al
    I saw your post

disc parking brake

Unfortunately, I would have to get someone to fab the brackets for me so the NP200 route is a better option.

Wish I could find my pic's, but I needed a special flange made and machined to accomodate the ujoint fitment. Cost me about 500 bucks to do it soup to nuts but it was definately cool.

Found the pic's

QUOTE=fng;40635]Hey all, sorry it's taken so long to complete this bit of the project but there were delays and more delays from the machine shop and waiting for parts etc.
    I finally got the ebrake done! Glad of it too! This has been one of the bigger PITA's so far for me. I had to come up with an idea and through looking comparing and much fabrication I arrived with this end result. Now once again I'd like to reiterate that I'm no design engineer nor have I got the one and only way to do this but it's what I did and I think it'll work, time will tell.

This first picture is of the relined brake band mounted to the foot piece which is mounted to the np205, the foot piece or base first had to be machined to fit the bearing extrusion. I doped it with "Mega-Black" and a paper seal and smoked it down onto the case. After relining the band with the brass rivets, I slid it onto the foot and that looks like this:

Next I ordered a flange with a 5 1/2" blank on the end from Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts in Ogden, Utah. It cost $80 and fit like a glove. I took it and the e brake drum down to the machine shop explained how I wanted it all to line up and they proceeded to drill several holes, surfaced a pilot into the backside of the flange just to keep the drum centered. It looks like this:

[/QUOTE]

Found another one
    40670]Another shot of the flange, come to find out a dodge 32 flange is the same as a gm 32 flange according to Tom Woods and my local driveshaft shop.

Next is a shot of the flange and drum installed:

Looks good except...I didn't allow space for the retaining nut on the output shaft where the ujoint flange bolts to the output flange so I had to get this spacer made out of 1/4" mild steel

So after all that was machined and fitted, it bolted all together and here it is:

BTW the spicer 2-4-4191 yokes are exactly what worked for fitting the 1310 ujoints to the 32 spline output shafts on the case! Thanks for those #'s.

This last is a pic of the shortshaft with a 1310 on the back and a 1350 in the front to mate with the sm465 yoke...Rube Goldberg at it's best!

[URL=http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim0500ej6.jpg][/URL