Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: awest : Where can i find Disc Brakes

Default tacomainoh :

Re: Where can i find Disc Brakes
    Post by tacomainoh on Aug 11, 2006, 12:47pm

and using a 3/4t D44 saves at least a grand on that.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Aug 11, 2006, 2:58pm

What is Currie Enterprises doing to your axles? Are they modifying your stock axles? Or are they building something custom for you? Just curious Fisherman

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Aug 11, 2006, 3:11pm

Based on my experiences with guys with M715's most want to modify them and don't care about keeping them stock. If you go to a powerwagon site, those guys are anal-retentive about keeping their junk stock.

If you want front disk brakes, Ray at Helitool has the kits for $595+shipping. As of last month, when I spoke with him he didn't have any rear disk brake kits available (and apparently doesn't plan to make them any time soon).

If you want a truck you can wheel and drive daily, the best option in my opinion is to swap in CUCV axles and a chevy SB or BB motor, SM465/NV4500 and NP205. Parts are easily available and the strength of the parts is better than stock.

Just my $0.02,

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 12, 2006, 10:25pm

Barry hasn't sold his yet because we're all a bunch of cheap buggers. hahahha

eh, anyone who wants to put discs on stock axles, more power to you. It will cost a lot, but hey, if that's what makes you happy, you want to keep the stock rims and look, and most of the equipment, this is America and I"m happy for you. When every single truck is modified, no one will know what a stock one is.

Other than that though, MODIFY!!!! so you can use it, safely.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Aug 13, 2006, 11:14am

There is nothing wrong with the operation and safety of the stock truck. Frankly I don't know why so many people want to modify the truck. If you want a modern truck go buy one. If you want a 40 year old Army truck then that is what you've got.

That being said I'd love to modernize a old army turck but keep it looking stock... But understand that my thinking would be along the lines of what if the army decided back in 19-- what ever to keep this truck in production but made upgrades to it along the way. i.e. M35, m35a1,m35a2, m35a3 and so on. What would a M37, M715, M211 look like today? I guess I'm trying to make a Tom Clancey novel out of a truck. Lots of fiction with some hints of truth.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 13, 2006, 11:17am

uh, actually a single circuit master cylinder is not all that safe. So there.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Aug 13, 2006, 4:51pm

If you keep your truck maintained it is....so there back...ptptptptptptptptptptptp!

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 13, 2006, 5:00pm

Enlighten us on proper master cylinder maintenance.

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Aug 13, 2006, 5:05pm

Uh, replace it with a dual-reservoir version when it doesn't stop the truck anymore. LOL

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Aug 13, 2006, 6:22pm

Flush the whole system every year with all new brake fluid....

It helps....but isnt perfect of course....no safety margin....thus the Federal mandate in 1967 that all vehicles built from then forward be equipped with dual circuit masters for safety....note the entire G890 series, M715, M724, M725, M726, etc. had single circuit masters....laws are meant to be broken right?