Thread: winch works well

Default winch works well

Spent some time on the beach with the truck the last few days.
    Pulled two guys out using the winch, once on Saturday and once last night.
    Had only used the winch once before, so operating it was somewhat of a learning experience. I had not aired down my tires either time I drove down the beach because to be honest the m715 does not need to for a short easy drive. But when trying to pull someone out that has gotten stuck aired down tires would have worked better, but I just hooked up the winch and used that.
    Last night was pretty impressive, I had driven down to go for a run and a swim. Full size chevy pickup has buried himself to the point that his frame rails were sitting on the sand. I noticed him a as I ran by, someone was already helping him. As went to leave the beach guy was still stuck and his help had left, I hope that guy had somewhere he had to be.
    Rule of the beach is you help each other out, and the guy stuck seemed to be a decent guy.
    Winch worked well but the parking brake did not hold my truck in place that well and trying to keep my foot on the brake and work the clutch and gas for the winch was difficult.
    Bottom line the winch pull him out pretty easily once I got the process down.
    Picture is me and my brother and his daugthers on Sat.

Very cool! Where in Long Island are you? I drive to Commack fairly frequently...

I live in Mastic Beach. Beach in picture is actually Smithpoint beach, part of Fire Island barrier beach.

Default Rewind

Rewound the winch cable tonight after work. Was not wound in properly after using it the other night. It was a bit loose and not too neat, cable was bulging out in a couple of spots.
    Starting to get the hang of using it, amazing how powerful it is.
    Cable seems to be in good shape, going to add cornhead grease to winch internals. It leaks a bit of fluid and have seen it mentioned here that cornhead is good for the winch and does not leak. Already have some that I used on the front axel knuckles.