Thread: u-joint steering shaft.

Default u-joint steering shaft.

The truck is starting to come together.

got the J-20 box mounted and Waggy column in. Still need a shaft to connect the two. Would like to use one without a rag joint. Found one on www.jdsoffroad.com. Wondering if there were any others.

Thanks,
    Jason

correction. the shaft I was looking at is:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/...pid=466&cid=13

I second that questions. My steer is a little sloppy and saw this as a possible upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by webstercj8 View Post
    I second that questions. My steer is a little sloppy and saw this as a possible upgrade.
    Yep, there are.
    Check out Borgeson and Flaming River for vendors, start out with something for an FSJ.
    I don't remember what the spline-count on the stock steering wheel was, but the one I used was originaly for my CJ-8 project. Now I had a custom steering wheel (I-DidIt hotrod setup) so I had to replace one end anyways.

Keep in mind too you don't have to buy a pre-made one. Lots of places like Summit sell the DD slip shafts, and the u-joints separately, so you can build your own.

Another good steering parts resource is
    http://www.pscmotorsports.com/index.php?cPath=159_121
    They will sell you the individual pieces even though they aren't on the site. Good people for off-road steering, they are good for hydro assist too.

Never thought about piecing it together from summit. Given the somewhat custom layout of things on this truck it might be worth doing that.

Jason

I don't know that you would HAVE to piece it together... the three things you need to know are length, spline count on the steering box and spline count on steering wheel. I would imagine that something from a CJ or FSJ would work. Piecing it together probably won't be any/much cheaper, the u-joints themselves are typically $50-60.

Side note: You CAN change u-joints and ends on those couplers. I had half of one joint that would work that needed to be changed with half of another. Popped the joint, just like a little driveshaft, put the two appropriate ends together and it was all good, saved me $50!!!