Thread: binfordm715 : Barymat bed liner

Default binfordm715 : Barymat bed liner

Barymat bed liner
    Post by binfordm715 on Sept 22, 2006, 11:38pm

As I mentioned before, I got a sample of Barymat in OD green such that is apparently installed in modern military vehicles these days. It comes in two weights. I put the lighter weight stuff in the bed of the truck, cutting it with a razor knife and scissors around the wheel wells.

I had to do it in two sheets, 1/3 up front and 2/3 in the back. The stuff is just laid in there. I can easily pull it out, though it is heavy enough to stay put while driving, particularly at the break-neck speeds these trucks are capable of...

The mat is sound-absorbing. I'm saving the heavy stuff for the cab, but I haven't gotten to that yet since it obviously requires quite a bit more planning and cutting. I'd like to try to get it laid in using one single piece, but may have to cut the driver's and passenger's footwells separately and doing a third piece over the transmission hump. It'll be good to try driving the truck more without any lining first to get a feel for how loud it is before I put the stuff in so I can tell what a difference it makes.

The bed needs a piece of thin plywood or something as an underlayment as you can still feel the corrugations through the mat. I think this stuff would be great for sleeping on when I have the canvas cargo cover later on. It is closed-cell foam backing with a urethane topping that looks like low-pile loop auto carpeting that has been coated in urethane. Quite cushy.

Anyway, I thought I'd post this up so you could see.

Any of you active-duty guys, do you recognize this stuff? Is it really found lining the floors in modern MVs?

Default robertcowan :

Re: Barymat bed liner
    Post by robertcowan on Sept 23, 2006, 2:39am

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT STUFF ? I,VE BEEN LOOKIN FOR A GOOD BED FLOOR PRODUCT. GOT A SMALL SNIP YOU CAN SEND ME
    BOB

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Sept 23, 2006, 9:27am

X2, interested in sourcing, pricing, and a follow-up on the cab-floor findings!!!

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Sept 24, 2006, 8:59pm

I know the stuff was used in the M35A3. I haven't seen it hummers, but the new duces and 5 tons those cab over things I forget the nominclature have it in them.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Sept 26, 2006, 8:12am

Bob & Blue.... E-mail me your addys and I'll send you a sample. I haven't cut up the dense stuff yet so I don't have a sample of that yet. I'd like to wait unless you just want the lighter stuff.

A friend of mine and Jennifer's is a sales rep for the company that makes it. I got the sample from him. I'll get some pricing and source information to post up. He did tell me the stuff was pretty pricey, though he was vague about just how much. I'll ask again.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Sept 27, 2006, 8:59pm

Figure the only people purchasing it is the army so the price is way up there!