Thread: m-715 timing set

Default m-715 timing set

my distributor will not move and i can't get it to brake free.
    when i purchased my kaiser the spark plug wires were not attached to the distibutor cap how do you figure out where they go in order.

You need to put the #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke. You can crank it with no plug in #1 and your finger over the hole till it blows your finger off the spark plug hole. Crank slowly...
    Then you can use a screwdriver or similiar down the spark plug hole to make sure the piston is as high as possible by turning the motor a little each way to get the highest position.
    Look at the timing marks and see if they read TDC...on the crank pulley/dampner.

With the engine at TDC, take off the ignitor cover...the distributor cap is screwed up to the bottom of that...and see which post on the distributor cap the rotor is pointing to...that is the #1 cylinder.
    Put #1 sprk plug wire there and put the rest in order COUNTER CLOCKWISE by the firing order:
    1-5-3-6-2-4

To get the stuck ignitor housing loose, if a hammer or pry tool doesnt do it...dont break it...you need to use heat...slowly for sure as the timing cover is aluminum. I used an acetyline torch and heated for 30 seconds or so all around the thick "spout" that the ignitor goes into. It didnt budge...so I did it again...and it barely moved...did it a few more times and it kept moving a little more each time...after 5 or 6 tries, it popped out.

Just be careful and slow and easy...keep the flammable hoses and wiring away...it will come loose.

After you get it out...clean up any corrosion on the shaft and in the "spout" then coat the shaft with anti seize compound and reinstall.

I've done 2 that way...no sweat if you take it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    You need to put the #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke. You can crank it with no plug in #1 and your finger over the hole till it blows your finger off the spark plug hole. Crank slowly...
    Then you can use a screwdriver or similiar down the spark plug hole to make sure the piston is as high as possible by turning the motor a little each way to get the highest position.
    Look at the timing marks and see if they read TDC...on the crank pulley/dampner.

With the engine at TDC, take off the ignitor cover...the distributor cap is screwed up to the bottom of that...and see which post on the distributor cap the rotor is pointing to...that is the #1 cylinder.
    Put #1 sprk plug wire there and put the rest in order COUNTER CLOCKWISE by the firing order:
    1-5-3-6-2-4

To get the stuck ignitor housing loose, if a hammer or pry tool doesnt do it...dont break it...you need to use heat...slowly for sure as the timing cover is aluminum. I used an acetyline torch and heated for 30 seconds or so all around the thick "spout" that the ignitor goes into. It didnt budge...so I did it again...and it barely moved...did it a few more times and it kept moving a little more each time...after 5 or 6 tries, it popped out.

Just be careful and slow and easy...keep the flammable hoses and wiring away...it will come loose.

After you get it out...clean up any corrosion on the shaft and in the "spout" then coat the shaft with anti seize compound and reinstall.

I've done 2 that way...no sweat if you take it easy.
    I appreciate the help I don't know much about my truck so that helps a lot. I am also mikssing the fron third member were coulod I find one at.