Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restore or Resto-Mod?

Default Restore or Resto-Mod?

I have been looking at a M715 across an open field for a couple of years. Yes, its been in the sun and exposed to everything. I did walk up to it about 2 years ago and it was a roach. It is still parked in the same spot that it was when i saw it two years ago. So I reached out and found the owner this week, I bought it. I am assuming that it doesn't run, that everything is locked up. it has not interior, no top, and i am guessing that it has no tailgate. That said - did i buy a $1100 paper weight? I was thinking about Restoring this, but now I'm thinking about making an Urban Cowboy truck out of it (I have some hunting land, but even out there i have nice groomed trails and don't risk the broken parts that go with serious off-reading like i did when i was.... Ahem, younger).

Update 2Aug, day three... had a friend get eyes on my new purchase. It has everything, engine tailgate, limited rust, seat pans, battery box, grill guard, and some extra parts like a transfer case, new top, spare tire and some other stuff. More pictures on my profile.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeciv; August 2nd, 2020 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Update

I always vote back to original but it all depends on what you want and your budget. Look forward to seeing more pictures when you secure it.

I always vote for the non restoration route.

The stock trucks are awesome but if your going to drive it then it should be "yours".
    Pick your drivetrain based on what you have available or what you dream about. If you want a LS swap now is the time. If your thing is diesel then start it.
    Leave the body the way it is, paint it bright orange or whatever turns your crank.
    Its your truck ... make it reflect who you are.

Just my .02

Paul
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...

For me it all depends on what’s working or what it will cost to fix. There is lots of help here either way you chose with a pretty friendly group. Congrats on the purchase!
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

As much as I appreciate the restore back original opinion (and love looking at the finished product). I do enjoy my more modern conveniences without overdoing it. To the untrained eye mine sorta looks original, but with very easily easily sourced replacement parts. I like nothing more than cruisin down the highway at 65 mph with my tunes blasting away from my hidden sound system.

Map out a plan and budget...then plan on doubling your budget.

But as others said. It's your truck and do what you want with it

Nice looking truck!

I bought a hammered truck (fire dept, tree-orchard service, then ranch rig). I went the resto-mod route and couldn’t be happier. I was able to make a bit of my money back by selling off parts I did not need to recoup some money back.

If mine were in nicer condition to begin with, I would’ve kept it as stock as possible, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I am actually doing both! I originally restored my truck. With a few minor exceptions being 4.56 gears and front hub locks. (for highway because I intended to drive it)

But ...... after 15+ years of ownership I'm GD tired of leaks, tuning ALL THE TIME, brake adjustments ALL THE TIME, and the ever increasing lack of parts.

So .... I am now having custom 4.56 axles built w/ 4-wheel disk brakes. Mounting stock HUMVEE 24 paired bolt wheels and tires. Yanking the stock motor for a Chebby. Rino lining the bed and cab floor. Adding power steering and power brakes. Moving the seats back 3" and converting from 24V to 12V.

No more worrying about if I'm going to get where I'm going.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by teking; July 31st, 2020 at 09:35 AM.

What you build obviously depends on what you're looking for. I wanted the vintage truck experience that goes along with straight sixes, no power assist, and slow but sure motoring. I didn't want the 24V electrical system, single-circuit brakes, oddball military seating, or a mechanical fuel pump, so those have been changed/updated. Next on the list is a 2300 carb & manifold. I've even toyed with the notion of a Holley Sniper FI system.

It's all in what you want the truck to be-- you paid for it, after all.

My vote is restoration. These trucks just look so good when they are done up in their original military colors and markings, plus you get huge props driving it around and taking it to shows and parades.

If you want a cool old truck to daily drive, look at the thousands of Square body Chevys, old Fords and J-trucks that are out there compared to the fact that the M715's are probably in the hundreds that are left. I've said this several time before here if you are looking for a great daily driver to run 70 down the highway, then don't look at a 50 year old military truck. There is no insulation, no sound deadening, and not mater what you do the top will always leak when it rains.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    My vote is restoration. These trucks just look so good when they are done up in their original military colors and markings, plus you get huge props driving it around and taking it to shows and parades.

If you want a cool old truck to daily drive, look at the thousands of Square body Chevys, old Fords and J-trucks that are out there compared to the fact that the M715's are probably in the hundreds that are left. I've said this several time before here if you are looking for a great daily driver to run 70 down the highway, then don't look at a 50 year old military truck. There is no insulation, no sound deadening, and not mater what you do the top will always leak when it rains.
    unless it is that old military vehicle vibe (leaking roof, no isolation, etc) that you are going for just in a more reliable platform. Reality is for a WHOLE LOT of people, "daily driver" doesn't mean 70MPH down the highway (interstate). Usually 55 on no more than a state road. What I would agree with is saying the M715 in any form is probably not good for EXTENDED trips.