ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Stock Tech

Stock Tech Tech forums for Stock M715 series vehicles

Old June 11th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Sergeant

Kaiserjeeps is a Soldier
Default Do you have a exhaust fording stack on your truck?

I do and had a problem surface. I bought a 75.00 fording stack and bolted it on. It did not meet my exhaust correctly. Since I was not ready for a new rear exhaust section (good luck finding NOS) I left it alone to be addressed later.
The road vibration eventually tore all the expanded steel at the welds on the upper mount. I had a friend who had a welder small enough to do expanded steel fix it. We had to sleeve the expanded steel and weld the upper mount to the sleeve. This is a very lame design (stock) and the mounts should have been attached to the exhaust pipe not the expanded steel. Since I already bought another one from the same place (now 150.00!!) I have made a small bracket to hold the bottom to the exhaust mount next to the tailpipe. I highly recommend doing this to provide a third anchor point if you are not hooked up to your exhaust pipe.

Just a word of warning since this stuff is not getting any cheaper.

Al.

Oop's this was supposed to be another thread. I can't find my car keys either...
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Corporal

george walker is a Soldier

yes i went through 2 exhaust stacks . the mesh grid that is used as the heat shield isnt strong enough to take the movement and torque from the exhaust system which is hung to allow it to move a fair bit. and there is apparently some slack in the pipe standards as i had to replace my tailpipe at some point and i had an original to use but when installed it was considerably diff in fit than the last an it no longer lined up to the exh stack i didnt want to redrill holes for the stack or have the tail pipe reconfigured so i dont actually attach them togther which i noticed eliminated the exh stack tearing loose from its welds
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Sergeant

Kaiserjeeps is a Soldier

They sure are not getting any cheaper. My last one had dents and needed a J hook dent puller to get it all straight. I heard the M37's had the bracket welded to the pipe itself. They must have been in a hurry when they designed these for the M715. And so far I have not heard of any stock trucks lining up correctly.
I guess they had to drive fast through the water.
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Corporal

teking is a Soldier

Mine doesn't line up correctly either. I've wonder how this could be since I have stock everything. Is it possible we are mounting the stack in the worng spot?
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Sergeant

Kaiserjeeps is a Soldier

Don't believe so. Since all I have heard about are having the same issue and there is only one set of predrilled holes on the bed back there.
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Corporal

george walker is a Soldier

of course the military never intended for the fording equip to remain on the vehicle .I beleive they intended for the stacks to be removed once the operations were completed. m-37's actually had accomodation to store the exh stack horozontaly on the outside of the bed when it wasnt being used for actual fording.
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Sergeant

k8icu is a Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by george walker View Post
of course the military never intended for the fording equip to remain on the vehicle .I beleive they intended for the stacks to be removed once the operations were completed. m-37's actually had accomodation to store the exh stack horozontaly on the outside of the bed when it wasnt being used for actual fording.
Correct. The fording kit wasn't supose to be a life time thing. It was to be used to do the fording and then removed as soon as the mission allowed afterwords. Only the silly marines wanted to keep it on all the time....

I wonder if the Marines developed a MWO or Tech tip of some type to overcome the problem?
Old June 14th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Sergeant

kwai is a Soldier

To make the fording exhaust fit properly you may need to have the exhaust pipe flange cut and rewelded to get the correct angle.