Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24volt to 12volt

Default 24volt to 12volt

I'm a faily new member,I have a '67 m715 and I would like to change it to 12 volt.Do I need to change the geneator,and the starter.Any info would be great.

The easiest way is to use a one wire 12v alt. Then change your bulbs, starter, and dist. Anyone think of other things are missing?
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Any 24 volt motors, what about flasher or gauges. I'm not sure what's on them ,mine is sitting in the garage where we rolled it off the trailer . Gotta get the M38 done before we start the "big" jeep.

DJ
    Last edited by DAVEJ; December 19th, 2007 at 10:25 PM. Reason: missed word

The alternator and the gauges and sending units...except the speedometer.

Which turn signal setup does it have? If it has the stuff that is in the first 2 pics on this page:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?...signal_convert

Then you will have to swap it out to go 12 volts on the turn signals.

If you have the turn signal switch and electronic flasher unit in the third picture, you are good to go.

What distributor does one swap in for 12V? (I should know this, but I've never paid attention as I'm sticking with 24V. But one never knows what the future may bring.....)
    -- Tim Taylor

Why do you want to change to 12 volt? If your 24 volt system is complete just keep it. I changed my M725 over to 12 volt, running a 350 chev. I wish now I would have just kept the 24 volt system and it would be compatible with the deuce.
    One wire 24 volt ALT, and a 24 volt starter (which I have) and a step down for the HEI and it would have been done. Cost of gauges, sending units, bulbs, time, it would have saved both time and money to have kept the 24 volt.

I also regret keeping mine 12V which is how I got it from the fire department. Nothing matches up with my M35's so I have to buy different everything to have spare anything.

You notice the emphasis on other vehicle compatability? You do know that the M715 is just the first step into the world of green iron? You will need a duece and probably a M38 after that and maybe even a 5 ton.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I vote 5ton!
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Quote Originally Posted by sermis View Post
    Why do you want to change to 12 volt? If your 24 volt system is complete just keep it.
    Oh, no... No plans to ever go to 12V! The only reason I would is if, for some reason, the 24V gave me such problems that it made sense to switch to 12V.

I intend to leave the truck pretty much bone-stock. I figure I'll change items only when it becomes cost-effective to do so.

Just thought it would be something to note in my files, which distributor to put in if one went to 12V. I have a variety of files on my computer in an M715 folder with information I've learned from here on a whole range of topics. I can use the info myself, or have it on hand to share with others who are asking.

So, what does one do, distributor-wise, if one goes to 12V?
    -- Tim Taylor

Civilian FSJ one fits right in. My truck had one on it when I got it. Pistolnut's son uses it everyday now to go to school with in one of their trucks.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw