Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flex Fan for cooling

Default Flex Fan for cooling

Being in Las Vegas, NV my stock M715 runs hot in the summer/parades. A number of members in my group advised me to install a 6 bladed flex fan in my stock set up.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this?

I am in Houston running a sbc 350 and had cooling problems until I installed a 7 blade HD fan from wagoneer. Fixed the cooling problems at idle and on the highway.

I don't like the flex fans. Because they flex they don't pull air as well.

Does it have a fan shroud?

I didn't run mine stock for long, don't know for sure how well they tolerate heat. But from the times I left it idling while shopping because I didn't know if it would restart... stock system seemed pretty adequate.
    Stock 4 blade fan and radiator, no shroud on mine.

I see from your older posts that you have a really nice stock M715.
    So like Von is asking, do you still have the original fan shroud?

Just FYI, when I drove these trucks as new, they had no problem with overheating. I bit the bullet and took my radiator to one of the few existing "real" radiator shops, Hubbard's Radiator Service here in Jacksonville, FL. They had a new core manufactured out of Texas and rebuilt it using the original tanks. The original radiator is rather large on the M-715, three rows in the core if I remember correctly.

I have no problem in parades and have the original water pump, 4-blade fan and a complete shroud. Whilst I am no mechanic, one thing that has become rather clear to me is that the radiator needs to be large enough and not clogged. If the tubes are clogged or "insulated" by lime, they do not exchange heat properly. I also replaced the missing thermostat and the temperature comes up and stops at the correct temperature just shy of 180°F and stays there.

Just my experience.

Another vote against a flex fan. As noted several times above. The stock system when functional, will work great.

Just getting a radiator "rodded" does not mean it is clean and good. Unless the deposits are actually removed instead of just pushed against the sides to block proper heat transfer. There will be flow, but not any real cooling going on.

However, parades are a world all their own. I never ran my M715 stock in a parade. I have run it with other engines and I have run my stock M35 Gasser in parades. Sometimes, they will start to get hot. I have found that running in low range 2 wheel drive to keep the rpm's up almost always takes care of things.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Just to be clear, a flex fan isn't the same as an electric fan, is it?

That's the alternative I've been considering.

No, flex fan is one of those aftermarket mechanical fans. usually 6 blade, flexible blades.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/p...4/899ab687d36c

I had one on the 350 I just pulled from my truck. Didn't solve the problem I put it on for... I've also heard the rivets can loosen up over time and the blades get out of balance or fly off. Never seen it happen but heard of it. But then I don't think I've ever seen an old flex fan...

Here is an example of a flex fan:
    Attached Images Attached Images

And here is an electric fan:
    Attached Images Attached Images