Thread: RT-524 install

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default RT-524 install

Been working on a super clean RT-524 that I picked up at the Cleveland MVPA show. The tags on it show that it was rebuilt in June 0f 2002 and demilled in Dec. of 2002, so I'm sure it was barely used before demill. For demill, they removed the A2000 module and the transmit tube. And after tracking down those few demilitarized parts on the World Wide Web it should work. Now I'm just laying out cable routing and final location on the troopseat to mount it. I know that according to the manuals that it should go on the drivers side but to make cable routing easiest I'm going to put it on the passenger side.

Last edited by Beast; July 11th, 2017 at 10:12 AM.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

They were on either side but mostly on the passenger side. Usually it was the RT-246 which is the remote version of the RT-524. The control head was then in the cab to change channels, etc. I have also seen the 524 mounted on a bracket above the battery box but that was a "field" modification so the passenger could change channels. You will find unmodified 715's, like mine was when received, that have the holes on the passenger side seats and on the curb side of the bed for the antenna mount.

Prior to the RT series, most trucks had the older GRC/VRC series of radios mounted on the drivers side. Those also could have a remote but only for switching between radio 1 or 2 or radio 1 and the aux. receiver. Channel changes had to be made on the radio itself.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    They were on either side but mostly on the passenger side. Usually it was the RT-246 which is the remote version of the RT-524. The control head was then in the cab to change channels, etc. I have also seen the 524 mounted on a bracket above the battery box but that was a "field" modification so the passenger could change channels. You will find unmodified 715's, like mine was when received, that have the holes on the passenger side seats and on the curb side of the bed for the antenna mount.

Prior to the RT series, most trucks had the older GRC/VRC series of radios mounted on the drivers side. Those also could have a remote but only for switching between radio 1 or 2 or radio 1 and the aux. receiver. Channel changes had to be made on the radio itself.
    I had read where you had said earlier that your unit had some with the radio mounted over the battery box and I was seriously thinking of putting it there, but was afraid it would be something to constantly bang your elbow on. On my truck I had added the sugar scoop and stand off bracket to the passenger side when I built the truck because that was where it fit best without losing the fuel cans. And with a working VRC-10 in the M38a1 and a working PRC-77 that was in the M715, it will be nice to be able to communicate between them.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    I had read where you had said earlier that your unit had some with the radio mounted over the battery box and I was seriously thinking of putting it there, but was afraid it would be something to constantly bang your elbow on.
    They were up high, near the roof, above the battery box. More likely to bang your head!! I thought I had some pictures but am still looking thru the archives.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Ron, I got your email but Verizon has dumped email service. It allows me to receive but not send. (Thank You, Verizon!!) So, my earlier response sits in the (Out Box).

In answer to your question, in our trucks, M-715, we didn't have radios, nor in the M-725s. Our trucks were used to haul small equipment, troops or to take tools and electronic equipment to the calibration unit. I never encountered an M-724 or M-726 in our organizations

Looks great. It's a good thing that radio didn't get the latest demill. Take a torch and start at the top of the radio and burn a hole through the bottom of the radio. Really makes repairing them to work about impossible.
    Zone holster maker