Thread: yellow 04 on the door of 715

Default yellow 04 on the door of 715

this may or may not be a stupid question??? today i had a neighbor looking at my jeeps and he asked what the yellow 04 on the passenger side of my 715 stood for. and all i could tell him was duhh. my truck is all original paint with hood numbers side stenciling ect and i have this yellow 04. i have seen it one a quite a few trucks at shows and on the net ect. could somone fill me in??
    thanks

Thumbs up

Go to the online manuals on this site. Access the Quirks Manual (PDF format one on the right side of menu) and it gives the complete explaination on page 14. In a nut shell, all m-series vehicles had this designation on the passenger door stating weight class of the vehicle for safety reasons. Example: So you could cross temporary bridges etc and not overstress the structure. An MP directing traffic could easily see the marking on the door OR the "Bridge Marker Plate" attached to the grill and redirect as necessary.
    Last edited by dhood; February 7th, 2007 at 12:23 AM.
    1969 M715 WO/W

Thanks for posting up Dave...and using the manuals....you are dead on!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Yep the yellow bridge numbers were used until the mid 70's when the Army went to the 4 color camo and subdued markings. It was then painted as just a black 4 with a black broken line circle around it. The 4 is the wieght class that our vehicles are, the numbers go up with the size and wieght of the vehicles they are on. A deuce has a bridge number of 8 for example.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/

I used to have an M37 which I spent a week sanding to get to the original paint and markings. It had the markings on both doors. I guess the motorpool was bored that day. I wouldn't suggest this for restorations, it is just a weird occurance I encountered. So when I repainted the M37 I put the markings on both doors. I had one comment from a guy asking if they were racing numbers. It's neat how little details can make a big conversation peice.
    1969 M715 WO/W

Here is a pic where you can see the marking on the driver's side as per the original.

Now, once again, this is not the right way to do it, just a weird thing I found with the original markings.
    1969 M715 WO/W

thanks for the info guys. i guess ill talk less and hit those manuals more.
    ken

Here is my truck in 1969, Blanding, UT:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, but your bridge plate on the grill is configured wrong.

"69" is the year of mfg, right?

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    Yeah, but your bridge plate on the grill is configured wrong.

"69" is the year of mfg, right?
    Yeah, right... You can imagine 22 Year Old army SP4s trying to mess with the NCOs. That bridge plate did say 04 before we got to it. We were hoping that the girls in town would ask what it meant.

If you see the bridge plate on my Germany truck, it says 04.