Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: CPO Dave's restoration thread. (Ser#14690)

Looks good David. I just bought my second 715 and may go for a full restoration. Hunting down the parts can be tough though. I see your in Newport News Va. I'm in Charlottesville! I heard there was a warehouse down that way on a base that had tons of military truck parts. Do you know anything about this mysterious warehouse?
    1-1AD 4-17 INF B Co OEF 12-13

Never heard of the so called mysterious warehouse. Sorry. There is quite a repository of old things out at Cheatham Annex.... every now and then, great and crazy things come out of Cheatham... I got my old R-390A ham radio CIA/US Navy radio from there back in the day but nothing mind blowing has come out of there for years as far as I know. But, people always talk about old 1940's WLA Harley Davidsons and stuff they've "seen" out there in crates so who knows.
    Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

Default War Pig gets body work!

Newport News - 04 March 2015

Well, we started on removing the dents out of the double wall cab cowling area tonight. Heat up cherry red and super quick quench cool using ice and frozen rags to pop and shrink...

It works but slow. Anything we can do to avoid slapping Bondo and sanding. We are trying so hard to have no body filler at all!

Hope everyone is doing well. Best wishes as always!
    Dave - (W4CPO)

Default Driveshaft work.

11 March 2015

Rainy here in Newport News. At least it's warmed up and the heathen snow all died! (finally)

Last night was my "Friday Night". Spent it in the man cave garage/workshop crushing a case of beer and more Makers Mark than my body and soul needed But also started working on War Pig's driveshafts. Finished the rear shaft today. Might get to the front shaft tonight if my hangover would ever go away (sucks getting old eh?).

Cleaned up the shaft. Degreased it, lightly sanded it and then acetoned the crap out of it. Washed it with POR-15 Prep wash and then applied POR-15 gray primer. Let sit all night (ok... try most of this morning. It was very late when I staggered into the house to sleep) and then primered with Rustoleum Red Lead Professional primer rattle can and then overcoated with Rustoleum Gloss Black Professional rattle can. Not a bad job if I say so myself.

Hope everyone is doing well and in good spirits and as usual hope I'm not flooding you all with boring useless stuff!

Dave-
    W4CPO

Post scrubbing, degreasing and sanding -

Post POR-15 gray. I LOVE this stuff! I swear the Great Oz created it

She's all primed now!

Finished product next to my untouched front shaft for comparison.

PS- I was told today I have "OCD" when it comes to my truck... Maybe?

Default Finally! TO THE PAINT SHOP!!!!!

16 March 2015
    Newport News, Va.

Hi everyone!

we loaded all the prepped bodywork onto my 5x8 utility trailer today and hauled it all off to the painter for sandblasting, prime and final paint. Amazing that everything fits on a utility trailer LOL!

The cab and everything forward of it left today. So looking forward to getting it done finally! Hopefully I'll have something that resembles a truck soon!

Best wishes,

Dave-

WOW! Keep up the excellent work!
    Zone holster maker

Default Last night's fun.

30 March 2015.-

Body is still out for paint. Painter is a lot slower than I ever imagined. GGGrrrrrrrrr. But, we got the rear tail lights fit mounted and the new trailer plug socket fit mounted. I like them Waiting on a new socket spring cover to arrive any day now.

Looking really good Dave
    I can be really frustrating waiting on other people to have work done.
    Were are you going to put the license plate and it's light?

Jeepdan....
    I haven't quite figured out the license plate and plate light yet.

I thought of just doing a heavy duty magnet so I can easily remove the plate at shows and stuff and maybe a 6 volt lantern battery and some sort of small light just to appease the Great "Commiewealth" of Virginia.

I dunno yet. I figure the Mother of Invention will visit me when the time is ready. LOL!

Dave-