Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bluesman2a : Woot, new tops are in, and question...

Default bluesman2a : Woot, new tops are in, and question...

Woot, new tops are in, and question...
    Post by bluesman2a on Sept 30, 2006, 11:14pm

Friday, right before leaving town, I got a package from Mona with the new tops for my truck and (matching top) M-416.

I haven't made it up to the shop yet to try the top on the truck, but I threw the cover on the trailer today

I went with a material called "Coverlight Vinyl" in tan. Both the truck and trailer will be getting shot with 24052.

The top seems to be about right for the trailer, but is there a trick to rigging the tops on those little trailers? I thought somewhere I had seen them done as a single rope through all the grommets? Either way didn't spend too long on it.

Default k8icu :

Re: Woot, new tops are in, and question...
    Post by k8icu on Oct 1, 2006, 12:22pm

That is the right and proper way of putting the tarp on the trailer. A little hit the army made a bow for them take a 1X6 and cut the ends at a 45 degree angle leaving about a an inch or so on the end. In other words don't cut the angle to the corner. Then notch a 1 inch "datto" into the bottom so that it will rest on the lip of the trailer. The board can be made to be either to fit the length of the trailer or the width there for making a tent in the tarp and thus allowing water to run off. I did it with my 416 before it got sold with the my m151A2 and it worked very well.
    Looks good! Can't wait to see pics of the truck!

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Oct 2, 2006, 12:51am

I was asking Mona if she could do a top for me out of this: http://www.cryeprecision.com/product1.asp?P=1CC

Multicam. I love that stuff! Those of you who saw me at the FE saw my BDU pants in that material. Only the stuff I asked Mona about was the 1000 denier Cordura. Not sure if it would stand up to the wind-beating and/or sunlight. But I think the truck would look awesome with a top made of that.

Anyway, when she wrote back to me, she mentioned just having done your tops, blues! Said they seemed to have turned out nice.

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Oct 2, 2006, 6:36am

I wonder what a top in that new digital pattern camo would look like? Be interesting.

Default elohim1 :

Post by elohim1 on Oct 5, 2006, 6:55pm

Im getting a red x. Looking forward to seeing the tops.

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Oct 10, 2006, 2:40am

OK, so everything is going back together from my dash project, the cancer has been exorcised, and I finally got everything clean enough to put my new top on!!!

Pics first:

Impressions:
    1) As far as I know this is the first 715 Top Mona has completed. I am VERY pleased with the product. She has been in touch and very concerned that it works and everything is OK. She has already offered to fix anything I did not find to my satisfaction (great service by the way).

2) There is exactly one minor flaw, the button on the driver's side front windshield is 180* off, so the snap is on the outside. Not shabby at ALL for the first time on something this complicated.

3) The material is very rubberized, so it doesn't slide over the bows like the canvas. Not a bad thing, but I'll either have to put some silicon or something on it for easier installation in the future. It was kind of cole tonight when I installed it, so I'll want to let it get warm out in the sun before I really comment on how the shape is.

4) The roll-up rear is top notch. LOVE the black out curtain. If you get one, I highly recommend these options. One note for Mona here though, we experimented with the length of the straps for the roll-up, made them shorter than some previous models, in the future add about 3-4" the length I have is OK, but hard to get started unless you have a REALLY tight roll.

All in all I am extremely pleased with the outcome and I think the final paint on the truck with this top/seats will look REALLY sharp.

Default bulldawg67 :

Post by bulldawg67 on Oct 10, 2006, 9:13pm

It looks sharp Bluesman, I am thinking of ordering one myself. You are located in Lawrenceville right?

Default fsjguy :

Post by fsjguy on Oct 10, 2006, 9:14pm

Looks good. What material is it?? It seems like it would be more waterproof than canvas. I wonder how it would handle the Colorado sunshine???

Default fsjguy :

Post by fsjguy on Oct 10, 2006, 9:14pm

Duh, I see. Coverlight Vinyl. How's it smell??

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Oct 11, 2006, 4:20pm

Quote:
    Duh, I see. Coverlight Vinyl. How's it smell??

Actually, the smell is the reason I bought coverlight, instead of the traditional canvas. Normal canvas gives me a bad headache.