Thread: Theory Question: EMP (Amphi, Kwai...)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Theory Question: EMP (Amphi, Kwai...)

I was just thinking today as I was reinstalling my plug wires for the 4th time.
    I was remembering back to my Army NBC training and was thinking about the effects of post-nuclear EMP and how it may effect this truck.

My question is would the encapsulated coil and distributor, shielded plug wires and plugs offer any protection against the effects of EMP?

Some of you engineer types feel free to chime in, I'd like to get some educated input here.

No offense to any hillbilly's or dummards, you guys feel free to pipe up too.

Quote Originally Posted by fng View Post
    My question is would the encapsulated coil and distributor, shielded plug wires and plugs offer any protection against the effects of EMP?
    Maybe some small amount but not much, because there is no real way to insulated magnetic lines of force produced by a magnet, electricity, or EMP.

These lines can be bent by another magnet or piece of metal in close proximity. They can also be concentrated in metals like iron. This is what makes a magnet stick to metal. However, if the force is strong enough it will saturate the iron and the remaining lines of force will leak out or pass right through as if the metal is not there.

If there was a way to insulate these lines of force, one could design and build a permeate magnet motor that ran on magnets only without electricity.

My best guess on this subject.

Mineral Estate Grantee

Wow. Now that's an answer. Thanks.

According to Mr. Positive it is not an electro magnetic pulse. He insist it is an EMD for discharge that could last up to 30 minutes per explosive event. He lectured me at length about this last summer when we were swapping some parts. He claimed that a standard military sealed distributor would be fine as long as the truck was not running at the time of the EMD. He also mentioned that the points could get fried with the truck off so I should carry a spare set of points, cap, rotor, condensor and coil. Basically, the same things that would go wrong if the truck was running.

Tracy, if you out in the middle of nowhere Arkansas are subject to EMP/EMD, I think there will be bigger things than starting the M715 to worry about.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I would say a stock M715 ignition system, that is points, condensor, and a coil, is completely immune to any kind of EMP of any magnitude that wouldn't be melting metal randomly...

EMPs are primarily an issue with solid-state electronics, using low current, high-impedance signals, and sensitive PN junctions, FET gate insulators, etc. In order to damage a points ignition, the pulse would have to induce so much current that it physically melted the wires in the ignition coil or punched through the high-voltage insulation, and if you're this close to ground zero, you're toast anyway.

The shielding around the stock ignition does, however, serve some useful purposes - but in the opposite direction. It prevents noise from your ignition from being radiated, which prevents interference with radio and communications gear, prevents its detection by enemy forces, etc.

--Randy