Thread: socal715 : Sticky? Attaining Records on your m715

Default socal715 : Sticky? Attaining Records on your m715

Sticky? Attaining Records on your m715
    Post by socal715 on May 10, 2006, 11:01am

I asked Arnold Grassi about attaining ID#'s or any other information on our trucks.. from where they were stationed (my truck in particular) I figured that someone may like to hear what most of us already knew. Basically you cant get any info on your truck or where it's been.

"Hate to rain on your parade, but you would probably have better look watching the skies for UFOs.
    First off, you can't call the base since the DRMO for China lake has been closed for many years.

Second, that truck was released from military service into DRMO/GSA inventory over 20 years ago. Chances are, anyone who was around when that truck was turned in has probably long since retired.

Third, DRMO handles HUNDREDS of vehicles. If any one was still around, they sure would not remember any particular vehicle, especiallly since the DoD discontinued using the M715, and turned in many for dispersal to non-Dod agencies.

Fourth, a vehicle is not turned in by bumper numbers or hood serial numbers. The VIN number is recorded on a mil-strip (turn-in document). Once the vehicle is turned over to another agency, or sold at auction, the mil-strip is kept for a short while, and then shredded. this might be a year or less. Once a vehicle is stricken from unit inventory, its' paper trail is quickly erased. This is in keeping with the US Governments' paper reduction act of the 1980's.

The only thing the delivery date (from the kaiser factory) tells is the date the vehicle entered inventory into Army Material Command. AMC then disperses it to military bases, who then disperse them to field units. Lots of paper that quikcly gets shredded.

Hope this helps.

AG"

Default brute4c :

Re: Sticky? Attaining Records on your m715
    Post by brute4c on May 10, 2006, 11:28am

Yep.

I have even gone so far as to contact the National Archives, Army Historical Records and Army Records at:

U.S. Army Transportation Center
    ATTN: ATZPQ-MH,
    Fort Eustis, Va. 23604-5345

None had a single document on anything covering what I was writing about...this i a copy of the letter I sent:

Quote:
    Dear Sirs;
    I am writing you to find information on the Kaiser M-715, 1 ? ton truck family that was used by the U.S. Army starting in 1967. I am the president of an organization that is dedicated to providing information of interest to the owners of these vehicles. Of importance to our members is as detailed a history as is possible on the military acquisition, use, deployment of, and removal from service of these vehicles. The following is a list of the vehicles in this family of trucks that we seek information about:
    M-715 1 ? ton cargo truck
    M-724 1 ? ton cab and chassis
    M-725 1 ? ton ambulance
    M-726 1 ? ton maintenance truck
    Information on the following subjects are sought:
    Original specifications, purchase price and quantities
    Dates of delivery by serial number and to what bases if available
    Number of vehicles sent abroad and where and when
    Changes to vehicles during their service careers
    Maintenance problems encountered
    Deactivation dates and method of disposal
    Losses during active service life, if known
    Marking schemes and paint schemes other than Olive Drab
    Any photographic information that is available
    Any maintenance diagrams on subsystems, e.g. electrical wiring diagrams
    To what command these vehicles were assigned
    I realize not all of these items are readily, if at all, available and seek as much as is possible. We have the first organization for these vehicles as far as we know, and since so much time has gone by, we wonder what happened to them in the days when they were young. Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated by many of us who not only enjoy owning these vehicles but are proud of the fact that they served their country and are now, in our opinion, U.S. Army, Retired.
    Also, I have heard that the vehicles that were sent to South Vietnam were not returned to the U.S., is this true?
    I was referred to you by Jeannine Swift at Modern Military Records, Textual Archives Services Division, where I had asked previously for the above data to discover I should contact you.
    I look forward to your reply and any information you can give, as it will be a valuable resource to the owners who wish to discover the hidden world of their vehicles military service
    Sincerely,
    Jon Schmidt
    President, The M715 Zone