Thread: fisherman : Bedliner and Paint, Porkchop

Default fisherman : Bedliner and Paint, Porkchop

Bedliner and Paint, Porkchop
    Post by fisherman on Jun 13, 2006, 10:23am

I can remember seeing your bedliner Porkchop form some photos you posted awhile back. I am at the stage I need to decide what to do. I don't really want to pay $700 or more to have a shop do the bedliner and color match the paint. Your bedliner looked really nice, and I would like to do it myself. As I recall you used Herculiner? And then you sprayed paint over it? What exact products did you use liner and paint? How is it holding up? I know your doing a engine conversion so your probably not using your truck as of yet. Do you think doing it that way was a good choice? I want a bedliner, and want it the same color as my truck. Any information you could help with would help me with my decision. Have fun at the FE. Fisherman

Default porkchop :

Re: Bedliner and Paint, Porkchop
    Post by porkchop on Jun 13, 2006, 11:07am

I used Herculiner and then sprayed it with gilipsie paint. I just preped the bed according to the herculiner instructions. The bed had just recently been sandblasted and primed so I just scuffed the primer up. While the second coat was still tacky I sprayed the paint. While I was using it it held up great! I hauled a few things in the bed and not a scuff mark. You can paint over any bed liner. If you get the shop to spray in just black bedliner you can then prime and paint over it. I was told this by the local Rhino Liner shop. I just didn't see spending $400 to do it this way. The herc was on sale and two coats it thick and looks good.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Jun 13, 2006, 11:17am

Hey thanks a bunch. I think I have made my decision. Fisherman

Default treepusher :

Post by treepusher on Jun 13, 2006, 3:02pm

I used Herculiner about 8 to 10 years ago. The truck sits outside in the sun and weather. I bought two gallons and used about one and a half with 2 thick coats. The glossy black faded after a few years. Now I can see some of the old paint on the sides, like the herculiner thinned out. Do not know what caused this. I have drugged all kinds of stuff through the bed and have not scratched it except at the top edges of the side walls and tailgate. It also sticks to skin very well so don't paint while naked. Have some of the recommend thinner on hand.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Jun 13, 2006, 5:31pm

Thanks Treepusher, I will try to limit my nakeness to my arms and face. Sounds like Herculiner holds up very well then. I think I will follow Porchops procedure as I will be doing the sides of the bed where the gas tanks mount and where the tools are mounted. I figured it would give it a more rugged look and be more durable than just the smooth painted metal. I will do the inside of the bed first and decide after that if I am doing the bedsides.. I also plan on doing the inside of the cab floor and rocker panels. If I do get a hardtop next month that may also get coated inside and out. The rest of the truck will be painted, or already is. Thanks again for your input. Fisherman

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Jun 13, 2006, 8:44pm

If you can wear long sleaves, rubber gloves and a splash shield when you work with it. I understand that if you get it on you that you will be wearing it for some time to come. Safety first!