Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: binfordm715 : Ford 300 swap, pros and cons.....

Default k8icu :

Re: Ford 300 swap, pros and cons.....
    Post by k8icu on Jun 26, 2006, 9:48pm

I was going to say isn't porky doing a 292 straight cheby swap....anyone know how's thats going?

I think the AMC 6 is a great motor. You know the one they used in the gremlin and still making in variation in jeeps today.

Default grantshire :

Post by grantshire on Jun 27, 2006, 7:31am

Okay, after reading all this about 6 cylinders I have to ask.

What's wrong with the AMC 4.2? I have had several over the years in many different Jeeps. They have great torque, last forever, and are easy to work on. There are also a ton of after market stuff for them as well. Bolt a H.O. 4.0 head on it (worth about 40 hp or more) and a 4 barrel and it will out perform most stock V8's. All without losing the AMC 4.2 low-end torque.

I am currently building one of these for my Scrambler. A friend has a couple of them ( CJ7 & CJ8) with a T176's. One has a weber 2 barrel and the other a Clifford with a Holley 4 barrel. Both will slam you back in the seat on acceleration, burn rubber shifting gears (3.73's & 33x12.50's and 3.54's & 35x12.50's) but still have the low end torque to rock crawl.

The only reason one of these isn't going in my M715 is I want to tow my car carrier with mine.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jun 27, 2006, 9:06am

I would suspect most of the problem with the 258 is the Carter BBD on them! I like mine. I just have to rebuild that carb more often is all.

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Jun 27, 2006, 10:50am

Throw the carter away and get a weber or weber clone. More reliable and more power.

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Jun 27, 2006, 12:12pm

Quote:
    I was going to say isn't porky doing a 292 straight cheby swap....anyone know how's thats going?

Yep I am in the process of getting it done. I would have been done already had it not been for a slight error on my part.

To get it in the truck there is a little work that needs to be done to get the mounts right since the passenger mount is more forward than the drivers. So it is not as straight forward as the SBC. I was able to make a mount from the engine so I did not have to move the stock frame mounts.

My son helped me get the tranny back in this weekend and hopefully I can start bolting more to it over the next couple of weeks.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Jun 27, 2006, 8:37pm

Quote:

What's wrong with the AMC 4.2? I have had several over the years in many different Jeeps. They have great torque, last forever, and are easy to work on. There are also a ton of after market stuff for them as well. Bolt a H.O. 4.0 head on it (worth about 40 hp or more) and a 4 barrel and it will out perform most stock V8's. All without losing the AMC 4.2 low-end torque.

That's the motor I'm talking about! Great motor and runs for ever! Any reason not to use one in a 715?