Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: awest : Where can i find Disc Brakes

Default robertcowan :

Re: Where can i find Disc Brakes
    Post by robertcowan on Aug 13, 2006, 9:27pm

BRUTE IS RIGHT, BRAKE FLUID IS A MAGNET FOR MOSTITURE AND THIS IS WHAT KILLS THE BRAKE COMPONENTS. EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE YOUR OIL IF YOU SUCK THE M/C EMPTY AND REFILL IT WITH NEW BRAKE FLUID YOUR SYSTEM WILL LAST FOR YEARS. ALSO 90% OF WHEEL CYL. BLOWOUTS ARE CAUZED FROM IMPROPER BRAKE SHOE ADJUSTMENT OR NOT ADJUSTING EM THUS PUSHING OUT TO FAR ON WHEEL CYLS.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 13, 2006, 9:42pm

Kwai is correct: and hopefully you won't kill yourself or someone else before you get to that point.

It is my personal, deeply held conviction that dual master cylinders are the only way to go, stock truck or not.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Aug 13, 2006, 10:34pm

Switch to silicone break fluid and you'll cut down on the corosion.

The point is my pointed head friend that there are plenty of vehicles on the road that have single systems most of them historical vehicles that drive with no problem.

The only area that I say screw keeping it stock is the area of break lights and turn signals. There I like to update as much as possible.

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Aug 13, 2006, 11:19pm

Yep. That guy behind you will be able to see your brake lights just fine when you rear-end the guy in front of you. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

As long as the master cylinder is working fine and doesn't have 40 yo rubber seals that are rotted out, either type is good. I believe that most guys go with the dual reservoir for (1) availability and (2) safety.

Just my $0.02.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 13, 2006, 11:29pm

I dont' trust them. There is really no way to tell what's going on inside the master cylinder, short of tearing it down. When they go, they GO. No warning signs.

Hence, a liability I won't allow on my own vehicles.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Aug 14, 2006, 9:10am

Quote:
    Yep. That guy behind you will be able to see your brake lights just fine when you rear-end the guy in front of you. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Kwai, the brake lights work on brake fluid pressure, so if you've lost pressure, you've lost brake lights too!

Quote:
    I dont' trust them. There is really no way to tell what's going on inside the master cylinder, short of tearing it down. When they go, they GO. No warning signs.

Hence, a liability I won't allow on my own vehicles.

Yup. Remember what happened to mine last week. My brakes worked GREAT!!! Then my stock spare tire holder came off the bolt and ripped out my brake line as it bent over the rear axle. Sure it was my fault (the bolt wasn't tightened down), but the point is, something happened to one brake line and I lost the entire system. Brake lights included.

Upgrades for safety and strength are possible and probably smart. Not really necessary, but not stupid to do either. YMMV.....

Default davea :

Post by davea on Aug 14, 2006, 10:09am

Kuhle, in my opinion, spending that much money on stock axles is like putting lipstick on a corpse. You are still left with obsolete axles that are not as strong nor as easy to find parts for as modern Dana axles. Plus, stock axles have a wheel mounting pattern that was designed in Lower Slobovia before the revolution. Wheels for them are available in custom made only. Bob, I disagree with you about the quality of modified trucks. I am not an automotive engineer, but I can build a truck that will pass the sniff test of most builders. I think that this board has gone a long way toward educating potential builders in the right and wrong way to modify a truck. We are blessed here with guys who are both skilled fabricators and are willing to share their knowledge. To downgrade their work is not right given the quality of the trucks they have built.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Aug 14, 2006, 12:19pm

If one isnt going to go with much bigger than stock tires and one is not going to do high horsepower or torque input while doing hard core wheelin, stock axles work fine....I plan to keep them in mine with mods as they are stock for the truck and I dont plan to overload them with power or stress...but not everyone wants such limits...

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Aug 14, 2006, 1:01pm

Quote:
    If one isnt going to go with much bigger than stock tires and one is not going to do high horsepower or torque input while doing hard core wheelin, stock axles work fine....I plan to keep them in mine with mods as they are stock for the truck and I dont plan to overload them with power or stress...but not everyone wants such limits...

I think that's a VERY fair and ultimately true statement.

My limitation wasn't mainly there (at least not when the insanity started), but rather the fact that I require parts resources to be readily available not limited to Ebay and some guy who knows a guy in a place who has the stuff. Specialty markets suck.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 14, 2006, 1:28pm

I,AM WITH BRUTE