Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: sweeney : Got my cab back from sandblasting

Default sweeney : Got my cab back from sandblasting

Got my cab back from sandblasting
    Post by sweeney on Oct 17, 2006, 5:43pm

A week or two ago I took my cab to a metal fab/ sandblasting shop, and talked to the owner about blasting and priming my cab. The cab was solid, had primer on it, but had a decent amount of surface rust from sitting outside. So talking to the owner of the bussiness he had quotes me $250 to blast and prime the underside of the cab, the firewall, and rusty spots elsewhere on the cab, or $350 to blast and prime the whole cab. At that point I told him to go with the $250 option. Inbetween then and when I dropped the cab off yesterday I changed my mind and decided to have the whole thing blasted. So yesterday when I dropped the cab off I told the person working in the office that me and the owner had discussed two options and that I had told him I wanted to go the cheaper route, but that I had changed my mind and now I wanted the whole thing blasted and primed. So this guys writes all this on the work order, helps me unload my trailer and I leave. This afternoon I go to pick the cab up, and its about half bare metal half red primer(this is the primer that had already been on the cab), with sand all over it. I asked the owner what the deal was, he said he was never told I wanted the whole cab blasted and then he says that we never discussed priming. This place has a good reputation, and this guy is the owner, and he insists it was his understanding that they were not going to prime the cab. So now I have a cab thats half bare metal, and they want $250 from me. He then goes on to say that if I want they will take the whole cab down to bare metal for another $100, and prime it for $250 more. So what I thought I was going to get for $350 will now cost me $600. I was really ed so I took the cab and left, and luckily my parents were nice enough to let me store it inside at their bussiness. The guy keeps saying sorry for the misunderstanding but thats a prety big misunderstanding the way I see it. His company messed up in a couple ways, and he does nothing to make it right. This guy is less than a quarter mile from my parents bussiness where I work on my trucks, and they have given him bussiness before. You think with all this plus the fact I still have a bed and some other parts needing to be blasted this guy would do something to fix this situation. From now on I guess I'll have to take all my stuff elsewhere, which is too bad cause this guy is literally 1/4 mile away and the next closet place is about an hour.

Default socal715 :

Re: Got my cab back from sandblasting
    Post by socal715 on Oct 17, 2006, 5:49pm

That sucks dude... on the next "quote" get it in writing bro! I feel for ya.

Default hetzer :

Post by hetzer on Oct 17, 2006, 7:48pm

For reference, I paid $375 to blast and prime the whole cab. Just red oxide primer, nothing fancy.

Default sweeney :

Post by sweeney on Oct 17, 2006, 8:20pm

Yeah its just annoying to expect one thing and get another. Tommorow I'm going to paint the underside and firewall with Zero Rust I already used it on my frame and inner fenders and it came out pretty nice. Going to call a body shop in the morning to see about getting the rest of the cab primed before it rusts up. There are a couple small dents on the cab that could use some bondo, should I wait until the cab is primed before using the bondo or is it ok to put it on the bare metal?

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Oct 17, 2006, 8:35pm

Bondo works and sticks better to rough sanded bare metal. If your worried about rust get the cab in primer. When you have time to do the bondo, sand off the primer in the area that needs bondo with like 80 grit sandpaper. Do your bondo work, when finished re prime. I do at least 2 coats of primer over bondo sometimes 4 or 5, and a good sealer before paint.

Default vrod02 :

Post by vrod02 on Oct 17, 2006, 9:17pm

Go buy a gallon of Bix industrial stripper, 20 bucks.Let it sit for 30 min then powerwash. prep rust areas with rusty metal primer, great stuff and bondo sticks BETTER than bare metal.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Oct 20, 2006, 9:17pm

PUT WATER ON BARE METAL ???????? ANYHOW YOU ASKED FOR THIS MISSUNDERSTAND IN MY O2. ALWAYS GET IT IN WRITEING............... WHY DONT YOU APINT IT YOURSELF ???? A 45.00 HVLP GUN FROM HARBOR FREIGHT AND A GALLON OF RED OXIDE FROM RAPCO 28.00 PLUS S&H THEN YOU HAVE IT FOR THE REST OF THE TRUCK. ALWAYS COMPLETELY BLAST THE ENTIRE PIECE OR THE TEXTURES WILL BE DIFFERENT.........

Default rip68 :

Post by rip68 on Oct 24, 2006, 5:11pm

I just called a guy (The Only One In The Phone Book!) listed under sandblasting & he gave me an unseen estimate for blasting my bed & rolling chasis between $500 - $700. He stated the materials cost between $200 - $300. Also he said that he could bring his equipment and blast the truck at whatever shop I have it at (because I am still trying to locate a place to rent to do the work at). I thought this price sounded fair. What do you guys think?

Default pistolnut :

Post by pistolnut on Oct 24, 2006, 11:15pm

Quote:
    I just called a guy (The Only One In The Phone Book!) listed under sandblasting & he gave me an unseen estimate for blasting my bed & rolling chasis between $500 - $700. He stated the materials cost between $200 - $300. Also he said that he could bring his equipment and blast the truck at whatever shop I have it at (because I am still trying to locate a place to rent to do the work at). I thought this price sounded fair. What do you guys think?

Take it to his place to get it blasted. Unless you are doing it out in a pasture somewhere, you will never get all the sand and mess cleaned up. Mobile sandblasting is good for large, permanent equipment, but on this type of thing take it their shop and save yourself a bunch of mess.

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Oct 24, 2006, 11:25pm

I did a couple in the gravel in my drive...one rain and you couldn't tell anything had ever happened. Inside a building would be a nightmare to clean!