Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M715 Disk Brakes-Protool conversion

I don't want to beat a dead horse BUT, I spoke with Rich Brandi today at Protool to see what the status was on the disk brakes for the M715. I guess this thing kind of fell apart. The price is $850 per axle. I am serious about this. He needs 4 sets before he will go forward. If anyone else is SERIOUS about doing this then please call Rich @ 610-275-5667. I like the kit because off the shelf parts can be used without machining. Albeit they are Ford parts but what are you gonna do. Don't call and plead poverty cause he has heard it all before. If you want to view previous discussions on this topic then scan for DISK BRAKES and find the thread about Protool. I will wait a couple more weeks then I will pursue other avenues. Bill D.

Bill,
    When you say a couple more weeks and then you'll "pursue other avenues"- does that mean that you're just gonna swap your axles out with a D60 that came with disk brakes and a 14 bolt that you can get a disk conversion for at a reasonable price?

I just want to know where you stand.
    -B.

Brian,
    No it means I will probably go with the Helitool setup.
    Bill.

I've seen some ROUGH times lately, the kinda stuff that makes you understand why people kill themselves. So I've been more than distracted. I told Rich from the start that I would be in for front and rear discs- he said he'd call me and hasn't. Even though it's a heap of money (at a tough time) I'M STILL IN. Bill do you think he means 4 total axles or four people ordering? I'm gonna have to call him. Are you just doing the front?

-G- (from Hell)
    Mine just keeps getting taken further apart.

Maybe it\'s all the beer.

I know you have been going thru some rough times Gary. I picked up the torch to see if there was any more interest in the disk brake setup from Protool. I need to do something. I called Rich and he sounded a little distant but was still willing to do something if we could line up enough orders to make it worthwhile and to do it for the price he gave us. I think he said 4 axles but I can't be sure. If you have too much going on and you want me to call him let me know. Thanks for your response.

I am still interested also. I gave up hope two months ago, seemed like Gary and myself were the only people interested. Rich Brandi put together prices for a group order three years ago, he received plenty of phone calls, but nobody bought. Same thing this year, lots of calls, lots of time invested, but still no deal. The price might seem high, but I don't have the facilities or time for an axle swap, so a weekend brake swap is what I need. Mike

What's your outside timeframe for buying this kit. I think it'd be worth it for me too since I've already bought the wheels to fit stock axles. A few questions... Ballpark cost for 4 disks? What master cylinder/booster is needed and it's cost? Any major mods to brake pedal/firewall for new master cyl? Misc hardware(valves etc)?

Here's my deal. With my pending marital separation I've racked up some debts which won't be paid off until October this year. By then I'll be single and 100% debt free. My 715's parked until I can finance the entire project and build it up right. I don't need it as a daily driver anymore.

If you guys can hold off until November this year I'm in. Scout's honor. That kind of time may help some other folks fill a cookie jar with cash too. If you can't wait, count me out.

Guys, I had mentioned working on a kit myself a couple of months ago. I have a rotor and was hoping to have the calipers I ordered with my brake kits from USA6x6 in a reasonable, but that was not to come to fruition. I only FINALLY received the calipers two weeks ago, nearly three months after order. I did have time to work on that, but that time has passed and will have to be taken up at a later date. If anyone is running a 20" plate wheel on the 715 D60, I can shoot out a PN for a near 16" rotor that would put the stop on any load AND have the 6 on 7-1/4" bolt pattern.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Spicer,
    I am running the Diamond 20" wheels. I got in on the group buy over a year ago. I love em. What type of brake kit were you putting together?
    Chevy or Ford parts? I need to get mine done by Fall so I can get firewood. I don't dare load it up with Maple and come down off the mountain.

Since I'm strapped for time for a while I'll let go the info. 20" plate wheel and you're in luck. Go to www.gunite.com and search the part number D6054C. It's a 'hat shape' rotor, looks like a standard automotive disc, only it's big. 14.76" dia with the 6 on 7-1/4" bolt circle. I had planned to space it away from the back side of the hub and run longer studs. With the plate wheel and some very quick machine work or you could even get away with grinding...you can mount this right to the back of the hub and hold it on by the wheel studs. A brake caliper bracket could be made to bolt to some or all of the five spindle bolts that hold the original backing plate on. The bolt holes are not 5/8" but around 3/4", so it one wanted to go with bigger studs...it's right there. The rotor will run just under $80 from a commercial parts dealer, or I got mine from a Freightliner shop. Secrets out...dig in boys.
    Big Blocks RULE!