Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Project: In over my head (again)

Ok, so I was finally able to get the fuel tank mounted in the truck! I had to clearance some of the cross members as well as weld in some spacers so I could sneak the fuel module in and tuck the tank up as high as possible. The downside is the bed is now a touch weaker. But the upside is that the tank doesn't drop below the frame much and the fuel module is ~1/8" away from the bottom of the bed!

just snuck it in there

After getting that sorted, I changed gears to install my new 12V gauges. I decided to do that before rebuilding the rear axle because I clearly have my priorities straight... plus they're shiny!

Original

I used Stewart Warner gauges for the ancillaries and an Autometer GPS speedometer. I had to paint the chrome bezel on the speedo but other than that, it was all plug and play.

One of the Stewart Warner gauges did have a mounting post pull out after I accidentally over-torqued it...

I tried to solder it back on but I think I need to use epoxy.

Next, I guess I do the rear axle while I avoid the rest of the wiring... Or I'll muscle up and do the wires. The axle sounds good. haha

@hayeselmotors

Ok, after a long hiatus, I was able to resume work on the 715! I started with getting the fuel tank hooked up. The new filler neck with nice, fuel rated hose was a touch short so I had to extend the fuel tank inlet.

I used a piece of 3" exhaust extension, some sealant, and tapped it on.

The fuel system is now 98% done! I just need to rebend the fuel line a bit.

Next I added in a reinforcement plate to the firewall for the clutch pedal. I noticed the firewall flex when I pushed the pedal so something had to be done. I used a plate of 1/8" metal and welded it in. It doesn't seem to be bending anymore now!

After that, I attached the pedals and the steering column and wheel finally! It's so nice to have the steering wheel in and wiggle the tires!

Next I'm going to start on the rear end and suspension. I want to remove leaf #2 from each of the spring packs. I just need to figure out how to reattach the spring retainers to #3 or something.

@hayeselmotors

I made some pretty good progress today. I was able to get one of the rear leaf packs off and it was much easier than expected.

From there, I undid the leaf pack to knock the rust off and paint them.

After the paint dries, I'll keep spring #2 out to see how much that softens up the ride. I've got new spring clips and some leaf spring insert material to hopefully reduce friction between the leafs and allow the suspension to flex a bit more. While I waited on the leafs to dry, I cleaned and painted the rear end.

We'll see how far I get tomorrow but I hope to have the rear basically done by the end of the day.

@hayeselmotors

Ok, so I got the rear leafs back together and the shocks installed. It looks really good and now the rear of the truck moves a bit when you put weight on it!

From here, I started to take the axle apart so I can install my Detroit locker and 1410 pinion (thanks to Treepusher's install guide). When removing the hub nuts from the studs, a handful of them pulled out. Oh well.

Other than that, I had just enough room between the truck and the garage wall to remove the shafts.

Pulling the diff was easy enough (crowbar and plywood against a ring gear bolt) as was removing the spider gears. I labelled all the bolts from the case just to make sure everything goes back exactly where it came out of.

I initially reused the thrust shims from the back of the spider gears with the locker since they weren't expressly mentioned in the instructions. I decided to call Eaton today and they told me to NOT use those shims. It would cause extremely premature failure. So out they came.

Now the diff is ready to go back in. Just waiting on new carrier bearing bolts.

@hayeselmotors

Alright, after a busy week, I finally got the rear end back together! Switching out the pinions was easy enough but cutting gaskets for the axle hubs and reinstalling the studs that pulled out took time. But it's finally together!

Hopefully the 10 spine pinions can hold up to the V10 torque. I also added a 1/4" plate diff cover for some added protection. I was hoping for a darker red but oh well, this will work. The rear driveshaft went in easily as well!

I've now moved onto the front axle. I got the driver's side spring out but I need to figure out how to degrease the axle enough to paint it.

Once I do that, I'll add the lock out hubs, 1410 pinion yoke, and 1/4" diff cover. I'm going to remove the #2 leaf up here as well. Hopefully I can make good progress this week.
    Last edited by Old_Red_Jeep; November 25th, 2019 at 03:34 PM.

@hayeselmotors

Alright, so the advantage of Thanksgiving is it allowed me to take the week off! Which means lots of work to do on the truck. Yesterday I took the seats out to get reupholstered. We'll see how they look when they come back wrapped in leather that's like an old baseball glove!

Today I focused on the front axle cleanup effort. After hours of wire wheeling, degreaser, and acetone, I was able to clean up the front axle enough to have the paint stick well. This stuff was grotë.

before:

after:

After cleaning the axle, I broke apart the passenger side leaf back so I could knock all the rust off of them. I'm leaving leaf #2 out of these packs as well. we'll see how the truck likes it.

So tomorrow, I'll paint everything that's cleaned and think about changing out the pinion yoke. Then switch to the driver's side to do the same thing.

@hayeselmotors

While waiting on my chassis paint to arrive, I swapped out the front axle drive flanges for the lockout hubs. It went really easy and I only pulled 3/12 studs! I didn't change out the tall studs or trim them, I'll leave them for now. They're not that big of a problem at the moment.

I was able to get the axle and leaf springs painted today so while waiting on that to dry I turned my attention to my door panels (since the GF is in town and can help. Plus I want to get her involved in the truck). I've been acquiring the material for the past two weeks. When I removed the passenger door panel, I found a large mouse nest. I'm not even sure how it got in there...

I used some fleece for "stuffing" and a "home decor" plaid for the panels. I think the first one turned out really nice!

carefully trimming...

1st panel done!

And installed to see what it looks like! I love it!

@hayeselmotors

Alright, so I'm a little late to posting this but it's been a busy couple of weeks. I was able to get the front axle 80% finished but when removing one of the eye bolts for the driver's side leaf spring, the spring pack fell and crushed my finger. Between doing that and traveling for work, I haven't been able to work on the 715. But here are the last pics before I started traveling.

The first is the axle. I have the lock out hubs done, 90% of the axle painted, armored diff cover installed, and driver's side spring pack 90% removed.

All that's left do do is clean/paint the spring pack and axle then bolt back together and it will be good to go.

I also got my badge in for the grille and was able to paint it. I spent a couple hours sanding the grille and I think it turned out well. Not perfect, but good enough for what I'm capable of. I held it in place on the truck and found out my repop piece only lines up 2/6 mount locations. I'm going to have to get a bit creative.

I choose the Rumble Bee from a Scat Pack since this truck has significantly more power than it would have originally and I have lost count of how many wasps and wasp nests I've found in this thing. I think there are still some paper wasp nest piece stuck in the bed. I figured it was fitting.

So next up is to finish the front axle, get the grille mounted, finish plumbing the cooling system, mount radiator fan, fab exhaust, throttle cable, tcase linkage, p-brake linkage, wiring, fluids, then test drive! Also, my new wheels and tires are on the way and hopefully I'll have them early next year. 37's on re-purposed Humvee wheels from Trailworthy Fab.

@hayeselmotors

Nice touch on the emblem.

Christmas came early! My new wheels and tires finally came in for the truck and not a moment too soon!

I've got 37" Humvee takeoffs with custom 12 bolt wheels from Trailworthy fab. They look really good and will make me feel a lot safer on the road now that the 50yr old tires are done. I'm curious to see how they ride and how balanced they feel. They should work well in the dirt too.

@hayeselmotors